58. The Wright Steps

September 7th, 1995
4:37 PM
Skylar POV

"And we're all ready for tomorrow right?" I asked Kae as we walked through my soon-to-be opened dance studio.

"Duh. I never fuck up on a job, especially not one for my best friend," She said as her children ran past giggling with my children racing behind them. "You better not break nothing!!"

"Cool. So I'll probably get here about nine tomorrow, make sure all my staff are ready and then at 12 o'clock, The Wright Steps will be open for business," I said before sighing & looking around.

"What's wrong?" Kae asked & I looked at her.

"I've dreamed about this for years. Now the day is finally here & my daddy isn't even here to see it," I said sadly. He was my biggest supporter & he around to see how successful I could be.

"Awww Sky," She said hugging me. "He sees it. You just can't see him see it." We let go. "And the rest of us will be here to see it & support you every step of the way, okay?" I nodded. "So who's on the guest list tomorrow? Celebrity wise cause I don't give a damn about regular people." I snickered.

"You'll see tomorrow, nosey bitch." She gasped.

"Why can't I know now?" She asked fake offended. I just smirked at her & she sucked her teeth. "Can I at least get a hint?"

"Someone who- SHIT!!" I yelled looking at the clock. Kae started panicking.

"What?!?"

"The MTV awards start soon!! I forgot New York is two hours ahead!! Fuck, Michael is the opener!!" I did not get bullied by Michael to choreograph 'Dangerous' perfectly to miss him performing it.

"Ooh girl you better be a speed demon getting the hell home then. Kids let's go!!" We started heading towards the door with the kids running right behind us. Walking outside, I quickly locked the doors to the building & headed towards my car.

"See you tomorrow!!" I yelled as the twins & I quickly got in my car. The three of us put our seatbelts on and then we were off.

It was a Thursday evening so of course traffic was horrible, but if there's a will, there's away.

We made it home with a minute to spare & we hopped out the car, running into the house.

"Whoever finds the remote first, turn to MTV!!" I yelled, unlocking the door and letting them go ahead past me.

They ran into the living room & within a few seconds, MJ yelled out "I found it!! What channel is MTV?"

"Thirty-two!!" I said, kicking off my shoes & coming in the living room. We had made it just in time to see the curtain coming up on Michael.

"Oh yeah!!" MJ yelled, him & Serenity sitting so close to the tv that I didn't understand how they could see. I plopped down on the couch, ready to watch Michael do what he does best.

Of course, in dramatic Michael fashion, he stood there for a moment before getting into the medley of his most iconic songs, making me sing along while the kids dance.