86: The One Where Toni Is On Her Own

TONI POV:

I hold my son, Thomas. He's sound asleep. "I wish Cheryl was here to see you." I whisper rocking him slowly. Cheryl died giving birth to Thomas. I would have named him Jason but Cheryl asked specifically for him not to be named Jason. "She would have loved you more than anything." We have a daughter named Rose, she's 7. She doesn't talk about it. It's been only a few weeks so, I don't blame her. Thomas slowly opens his eyes. "Hey bud." He has Cheryl's eyes. He smiles. I kiss his cheek. I walk into Rose's room. "Sweetheart it's time for school." I tell him. "I don't want to." I take a deep breath. "It's only a half day. When you get there and it's too much you can come home." I tell her. "Ok?" She sits up. "Ok." She nods. "Do you want breakfast?" I ask as she walks out of her room. "Pancakes." She walks to the bathroom downstairs as I put Thomas in his chair. I make some pancakes and Rose comes in. "You ok?" I ask quietly. She nods. "If you need to talk, I'm here." I rub her shoulder. "I'm fine." She whispers sadly. I get some food for Thomas. "Auntie Veronica is gonna be here today." I tell her. She barely eats her pancakes. "Do you want to go to Pop's after school?" I ask quietly. "No." She looks down sadly. "Do you want to see Mama?" I ask sadly. She shrugs. "It's not going to bring her back." I smile sadly. "I know, but it might make you feel better. You haven't been able to really say goodbye." She nods. "We'll go after school."

"Mommy!" Rose runs up to me, I pick her up. "Hey sweetheart." I say sadly. "Why are you sad?" I rub her cheek. "I'll tell you in a few." I put her down. "Go upstairs and get ready for bed." She runs upstairs and Veronica walks in. "I got your voicemail. I didn't say anything to her. I thought you she should hear it from you." She whispers. "She's gone." I start crying. She pulls me into a hug. After a few of me crying I pulls away. "They tried they really did. It's all my fault. It was her or the Baby. I think I made a huge mistake. But Cheryl was in so much pain, I couldn't have her go through it. I couldn't watch her in pain." I cry.

This is a preview of my new book coming out. It'll be out by Wednesday.