140: The One Where Toni Gets in A Car Accident

TONI POV:

I wake up covered in sweat. I happens all the time after the accident. I get up and slowly walk downstairs. "Hey Cheryl." I whisper grabbing a cup of coffee. "How's you're arm?" She ask quietly. "Same, I have no feeling in it, I can't really move it or grab anything with it." I say slightly frustrated. "You're shirt is wet." She says feeling it. "I'm fine." I whisper. "Do you remember any-." I interrupt her. "Cheryl please! I don't remember what happened, I don't remember anything leading up to it and I just want to drink my fucking coffee and take a god damn shower!" I say getting pissed. "I-I'm sorry." I whisper. "I have told you everything I know. I don't know what happened honestly." I tell her. She nods. "You're right." She whispers. "I'm sorry." I apologize. She kisses me. "You're ok." She rubs my cheek. "Can you help me shower?" I ask quietly. She nods. "Come on." We slowly go to the bathroom. "I feel useless." I whisper. "You're not." She helps me get my shirt off. "I'm gonna grab you a change of clothes. Get the water started." I nod and start the water. She grabs me some clothes. "Can you get your pants off?" I nod.

"Ow!" I wince in pain. "Sorry." Veronica whispers. I shake my head. "It's ok." I try moving my arm again. "Fuck!" I groan. "We can stop." I nod. "Thanks for coming with me. I love Cheryl but she's kinda pissing me off right now, it's not her fault she's just worried about me." I tell her. "What happened?" She ask quietly. "I was coming home from my parents house and I missed the light was out and I drove through the red light and some drunk driver hit me. I think, that's what I was told." I explain. "I wake up covered in sweat, I haven't slept through the night in a month. I'm a mess." I whisper. "I'm sorry." I shrug. "I'm fine." I say quietly. "You just said you were a mess." I nod. "I don't think Cheryl and I are gonna make it." I say out of nowhere. "We've fought every night for a week." I add. "Have you tried couples therapy?" I look at her. "What?" She smiles. "It helps. Archie and I went and we have 2 kids and are actually happy." She explains. "I'll talk to her about it." I nod. "It's just weird because I have a hard time changing and we'll argue, I'll say that I'm going to bed and she gets groan or whatever and I have to turn around and ask her to help." She shakes her head. "I just think the accident has put a strain on our marriage." She nods. "It get it. Same thing happened with my parents." She whispers. "You're father is in the mafia or something." She smiles. "Yeah. And my mother blindly followed him."

"I was talking to Veronica." I say quietly. "And?" She ask. "You and I have been fighting a lot." I say quietly. She shrugs. "So?" I sit down on the couch. "So! I think we should talk to a therapist." I say. "We're fine." She stands up. "I almost died Cheryl! We're not the same." She looks at me. I take a deep breath. "We are fine!" She says again. "Cheryl, we aren't ok." I whisper pulling her closer to me. "Cheryl can we just go once and see how it goes?" She nods. "I have to go to bed." I whisper. "Can you help?" I ask quietly. She smiles and goes upstairs with me. "I'm sorry." I whisper. "It's ok." She whispers. "How was PT?" She ask helping me take off my shirt. "Fine. I still can't move my fucking arm!" I say slightly pissed. "Hey, you're gonna be ok, we're gonna be ok." She takes my hand. "I can't feel that." I whisper. She nods. "I know." I kiss her. "I think I might but it a sling." I whisper. "Why?" She ask quietly. "Just to keep my arm out of the way." She smiles sadly. "I'm never getting feeling in my fucking arm again!" I yell. "You don't know that." She whispers. "The doctors said that I wouldn't be able to move or feel my arm again!" I say sadly. "The same doctors that thought you weren't gonna wake up from your coma! Toni you might not but you can at least try!" She rubs my cheek. "Yeah." She kisses me. "So when is the therapist?" She ask quietly. "Next week. I guess. But we don't have to go if you don't want to." She shakes her head. "We should go." She whispers. "Come on. Let's go to bed." I helps me lie down on the bed and get the blanket on me. I lie awake feeling hopeless. "You're not." I look at Cheryl. "W-what?" I look at her confused. "You're not helpless." She whispers. "Are you a mind reader or something?" I ask. "No, we've been together for almost 15 years and we've been married for 7 of those years. I know you and I know you haven't been ok since the accident." She whispers. I take a deep breath. "The only thing I can do for myself is pour a cup of fucking coffee and that's because we have that stupid horrible testing Keurig! I haven't had cream in my coffee for a month now because I can't hold the god damn mug! I hate it." She smiles. "I'm happy to help you." I look at her. "That's part of the problem!" I say. "Can I show you a way to pour cream if you're so destined to have cream in your coffee?" She ask quietly. "Yeah." She smiles. "It's kinda dumb but I think it will work." I nod. "Yeah." I smile. "It's really dumb." I shrug. "I don't care."

"You got the sling!" Cheryl says quietly. "Yeah, can you show me the thing?" I ask. She gets up and grabs the cream. She puts the mug against the toaster. "You're right, this is dumb." I smile. "Yeah but it works. You can put it against anything but this is the closest thing that you don't really have to grab. I did this when I broke my arm." I nod. "Cool! I can take it from here." She nods. I grab a spoon and stir the coffee. "You ok?" She ask quietly. "Yeah! Umm... I just wish I could use my arm." She nods. "I know." She kisses my cheek. I realize that my heart starts pounding as memories from that night come back. "Toni?" I sit down. "I think I remember what happened that night." I whisper. "Not a lot. But I ran the red light and got hit. And I remember it not just what I've been told and picturing it." She nods. "You ok?" She ask. "Yeah." I kiss her. "I love you." I whisper. She smiles. "I love you too."