126: The One With The Help

CHERYL POV:

"Toni!" I ride Toni faster. "I love you." She groans. I stop. "Che-." I get off her, grab my clothes. "Cheryl!" She stops me. "You don't love me!" I get mad. "I do!" She insist. "We are friends with benefits! You do not-." She interrupts me by kissing me. I cup her cheeks and kiss back. "Cheryl I love you." She whispers. "I know you're not out and we are just fooling around but we should do more!" She looks at me. "Can you do that?" She ask. I kiss her again. "You're taking me on a date! Than I'll decide how I feel." She smiles.

I open the door to Toni all dressed up. Pants that aren't ripped, I button down, a tie and her serpent jacket. Her hair is tied back with small braids going to the back. "You clean up well." I smile. "So do you. Glad I emphasized the fact that this was a casual date." I smile. We go to her truck. "So where are we going?" She smiles. "Were just going to Pops." She whispers. "Nothing crazy." She smiles.

Toni walks back to the table "Everything ok?" I ask Toni. She looks at me and sits down. "Y-yeah. I just home stuff." She lies. "Toni?" She looks at me. "Yeah!" She whispers. "What happened?" I ask quietly. "Nothing you need to worry about, just shitty dad stuff." She whispers. "I don't want to talk about it." She continues eating like nothing happened. "If you need to go home you can." She shakes her head. "Cheryl. It's fine! I'm fine! I'm really hungry no we'll eat." She gets a little frustrated. She looks down. "I'm sorry." She whispers. "It's ok."

TONI POV:

I walk up to the trailer I share with Sweet Zoe after the date. "I'm sorry I'm late. I had a date." Sweet Pea looks at me. I notice the black eye. "It's fine." He stands you. "I didn't want to call you at first but ah... Fangs said we should just to tell you what happened." He says almost in shock about what happened. "I hate my dad so I wasn't in a rush." I whisper. "He's still at the station if you want to see him." I shake my head. "I'll go tomorrow. He broke his parole he was gonna end up back in jail sooner than later. He also doesn't have enough money for a decent lawyer." I walk into the house and see it's a mess. "He put up a fight." Sweet Pea whispers. I go to my room and see the smashed camera. "I'm sorry Topaz." I shake my head. "It's to your fault." I hold back tears. "I know, but I couldn't stop him." He whispers. "I can go get your camera fixed tomorrow." I shake my head and pick up the pieces. "It was a piece of crap anyway." I start to walk to the garbage. "But you're mom ga-." I turn around. "I don't want to hear about my mother!" I yell. "She's gone!" I throw the camera knowing I'm gonna regret that tomorrow. I take a deep breath and look at Sweet Pea. "Hey!" I start crying and he hugs me.

I wake up and look at my phone. It's noon. I shoot up and start get dressed. I run into the kitchen and see and note on the fridge.

Toni,

I called you out sick for school. I'll tell Cheryl that you had a family emergency and that you'll call her as soon as you can. I got your camera out of the garage luckily there wasn't anything gross. Go get it fixed and see your dad.
-SP

I smile and see the camera on the counter.

"Is Sweet Pea is actual name?" Cheryl ask quietly. It's been a few days. My dad is going back to jail for life not possibly of getting out, my camera was fixable but it's gonna be another week until I get it back. Cheryl and I are at my trailer after a long night of doing it. "No. It's Stephen Peterson, but we've been calling his Sweet Pea for 10 years." I whisper. She smiles. "What happened that night?" She ask changing the mood. "My dad, came here and part of his parole was to stay in greendale. Because he's not allowed to see me. And he tried to break that, he also got in a fight with Sweet Pea which was against his parole. They also did a breathalyzer and found out he was drunk." I whisper rubbing her thighs. "I'm sorry that happened." She whispers. "It's fine." I whisper. "The reason I didn't want to talk about it is because I really had no idea what happened and I didn't want to jump to any conclusions." I whisper. "It's ok." She smiles. I sit up. "Have you thought about the whole us thing?" I ask smiling. "Yeah. I did thought about it. And I do want to be your girlfriend. But, I'm not ready to come out." She whispers. "So what do you want to do?" I ask concerned. "I don't know. But I don't want to stop this." She smiles biting her lip. "Yeah?" I pull her closer. "Yeah." She smiles. "We definitely keep doing this."

"You ok?" Sweet Pea ask quietly. I watch my father get handcuffed and taken away by a police officer. I look turn around to Sweet Pea and Cheryl. "I don't know." I walk out of the court room. "Toni!" Both of them run after me. "Can you just leave me the fuck alone!" I get mad. I walk away and Sweet Pea goes after me. "Fuck off!" I push him away. "God!" I go to my truck. They both look at me. I drive off.

SWEET PEA POV:

Toni drives off. "How are we getting home?" Cheryl ask quietly. "We can walk to Pop's it's not that far. We can figure it out from there." I whisper.

"Toni told me your actual name." Cheryl whisper. "Oh god." I look down and my food. "I'm not gonna tell anyone just don't tell Toni I told you that she told me." I nod. "Of course." I smile. "How are your parents doing?" I ask quietly. "My dad killed himself and my mom is a horrible person who favorited my brother." She tells me. "I- oh sorry." I whisper. "It's fine." She whispers. "What about you? Since we're both talking about stuff that make us uncomfortable." She whispers. "I don't know my parents." I tell her. "They abandoned me when I was a baby and I've been raised by FP and the serpents. I moved in with Toni a few years ago after her mom died and her dad became the person we saw get thrown in jail. We barely make enough to stay in that trailer and her meds and shit, but it's whatever." I tell her. "How did you get the name Sweet Pea?" She ask quietly. "Oh one time I was eating something that had them in there and I threw them up. So it became my name and it was better than a name by that I was given by my parents." I whisper. "Toni's mom died?" She ask concerned. "She never told you?" She shakes her head. "No." She whispers. "What happened?" She ask quietly. "It's not my business." I whisper. She nods. "You're right."

I walk into the trailer, I go into Toni's room. "Toni?" I say cautiously. She just shakes her head. "What's wrong?" I sit down on the bed. "I don't want to talk." She whispers. I notice that he's looking at a picture of her parents before everything went to shit. "Talk to me." I rub her back. "I don't know." She whispers. "I just want to die." She mumble. "Toni you're gonna be ok." I whisper. "Have you been taking your meds?" She looks at me pissed. "Why is it when I get like this you always think I'm off my meds!" She ask pissed. "Because you only get like this when you are!" I insist. "Go fuck yourself." She yells at me. "I'm not leaving." I whisper. She starts crying. "I know you're going through something. I'll never get it. But you need to talk to me before something happens again. We can't have last year happened." Toni has spent every summer in a psych ward since her mom died. "I'm fine!" She gets mad. "I just need to process what happened today. Ok?" She whispers. I nod. "Just talks to me when you're ready." I get up from the bed. "I'll be on the couch." I tell her. She lies down. "Do you want to talk to Cheryl?" I ask quietly. "Fuck you." I walk out. "Toni." I turn around. "We'll get you through this." I tell her.

"Is she ok?" Cheryl ask quietly. "She hasn't been to school in a week." I look at her. "Go and try getting through to her." I slam my locker. "What's going on with her?" She ask quietly. "If she something happens because of everything that's been going on, it'll be her 6th summer in psychiatric rehab and her 7th time in general." School is about to end in a few days  and honestly I don't think Toni is gonna be able to hold on any longer. "Than get her into therapy." Cheryl tells me. "We can't afford it! We had to spend all that money on a lawyer." I tell her. "I'll pay." I shake my head. "I'm not gonna make you do that." I whisper. "Her mental health is more important than money at the moment. I'll pay and her getting better is what I get in return." I nod. "Fine, you might have a hard time getting her there though." I whisper.

I was right. Toni relapsed. I watch her get wheeled into the ambulance. "Can I go with her?" I ask quietly. "I'm sorry. But only family." The AMT tells me. "I'm not legally." I tell her. "But she's the only family I've got and I'm the only family she's got." I insist. "I'm sorry it's not up to me." The door closes and they drive off. I sit there in shock. I sit down on the steps. Cheryl walk over to me. "What happened?" She ask. "Ah... the therapy didn't help her in time. She um... she relapsed." I tell her. "I feel like this is all my fault!" I whisper. "It's not though." She sits next me. "Her mom died and you were left to pick up the pieces."

It's been the beginning of school our senior year. Toni is out of rehab. "You ok?" I ask her. "For now." She smiles.