Zaterdag 11:19

JENS
They slowed to a stop in front of a convenience store that had a rack full of bikes outside it and an overflowing trash can. Birds flew around the roof of the shop, flapping and squawking and the boys kicked their boards up into their hands.

They both entered and grabbed chips and drinks, and as they approached the till Jens snatched Lucas's from his hands. Jens paid for both of their "lunches," and Lucas gave him a smile as they left.

As they stepped outside, Jens held the plastic bag out to Lucas and dropped his backpack to the ground so he could put his wallet in it. The bag dropped directly into bird poop, and Jens took a deep breath without moving. Lucas noticed and began to laugh at him, moving his hands up to cover his face with the bag. Jens laughed too, half at the bird poop and half just smiling at Lucas's unsuccessful attempt to cover his face. (Jens was glad this was unsuccessful, he had the prettiest smile.)

Jens dropped his wallet in the bag and zipped it up, still laughing, and then tossed it onto his back and stood.

"Fun place for a first date, huh?" he asked as he took the plastic bag from Lucas. Jens's heart dropped for a split second, worrying that the comment was weird, or might make Lucas uncomfortable, but Lucas began to laugh harder, his face becoming pink.

Jens giggled as he reached into the bag and passed Lucas's food and drink to him.

"Super romantic, great choice," Lucas teased.

Jens couldn't help but wish it was a real date.

LUCAS
Holding their chips and bottles, the boys skated down the sidewalks, avoiding people, dogs, and cracks in the pavement. Every once in a while, Jens would turn his head to look back at Lucas, and Jens would smile at him. It was just a small smile, but it was brighter than anything Lucas has ever seen. Lucas smiled, even though Jens was already turning his head back.

Lucas couldn't actually stop smiling.

Jens led him to the skate park and began to roll back and forth on the half pipe as Lucas sat next to his board at the top of it. Lucas watched as Jens shoves chips in his mouth as he turned to skate in Lucas's direction.

"Don't choke," Lucas called to him.

Jens grabbed another couple of chips and put them all in his mouth at once.

"I'm gonna do it on purpose now," he said, his voice muffled and garbled.

"Dumbass," Lucas said quietly, but not quietly enough, and Jens said, "Rude."

Lucas giggled as he opened his own chips. He watched Jens in silence for a minute until he looked up and caught his eye. Jens smiled.

"Where are you from?" Jens asked, loud enough for Lucas to hear.

"The Netherlands," he responded, lifting it up at the end so it sounded like a question. "I thought you knew that."

"I did, but where in the Netherlands?"

"Oh. Utrecht."

Jens moves his hands in a go on gesture. Lucas looked at him in confusion.

"Tell me about your friends and stuff."

Lucas dropped his bag of chips next to himself and leaned back, putting his weight on his hands, and looking up. Jens turned back around and skated in the other direction.

"Uhhh, I have friends..." He trailed off, thinking about where to start.

"Woahhh," Jens said sarcastically.

"Shut up!" Lucas said, smiling at the clouds. "I have friends, I've got Kes and Isa, they're my best friends."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, but it's kind of weird, some drama and stuff last year. They used to date but they broke up. And then got back together. And then broke up." Lucas looked down into the half-pipe and saw that Jens was looking at him now, rolling back and forth without changing which direction his body was facing.

"Awkward," Jens said after a second.

"Kind of. They're pretty chill about it. I think they still like each other."

"Huh."

They kept looking at each other for another second before Jens stepped off his skateboard pushed it up the slope in front of Lucas. Lucas caught it before it fell, and set it down next to himself while Jens ran up the slope and pulled himself up so he was sitting next to Lucas.

JENS
"What about your friends?" Lucas asked.

"What about them?"

"Tell me about them."

"You met them last night."

"I met you last night. I don't know anyone."

Jens laughed quietly and turned to look at Lucas, catching his eye and smiling again. He leaned back, holding himself up, copying Lucas, and said "Friends."

"Yes."

"There's Robbe, he's my best friend," he began.

"Is he the one that kicked you?"

Jens snorted, and said, "Yeah, that's the one."

"Keep going."

"Robbe, and his boyfriend, Sander, he's pretty cool. They just got together recently. Uhh, them, and Aaron and Moyo. Dumbasses, both of them. But that's okay." Lucas laughed and Jens looked over at him. His eyes were closed. Jens noticed freckles scattered across his face in the sunlight, and he had a soft smile. Jens allowed himself to stare, his own expression softening until he had a smile as well.

"The girls are cool too," he continued, still looking at Lucas. "Zoë, she lives there. Amber, Jana, Luca, you met her, Yasmina, and Noor was there. She's Robbe's ex, but I think Moyo might like her now. We'll see how that goes."

Lucas laughed and turned his head to look at Jens, and Jens didn't have enough time to turn away and play it off, so he just smiled at Lucas's laughter.

Again.