Vrijdag 11:13

LUCAS
Lucas sat patiently on Milan's sofa, one leg thrown over the armrest and the other straight out in front of him. He tossed his head back, laying it on the cushions, and closed his eyes as he flipped his phone over and over in his hands. He was waiting for Milan and Ralph to finish talking with Zoë so they could finally leave, and go out to the city, so Milan could spend his Christmas money. The plan was to leave at ten, but Zoë woke up and struck up conversation with Ralph, drawing Milan in, and creating an endless cycle of We have to go, but let me tell you about this first.

His phone buzzed in his hands and he immediately sat up to check it. The message was from Jens.

What are you doing today?

Lucas responded.

Going out with Milan and Ralph

He paused and then added a second message.

If we ever actually leave, that is.

He switched his phone off and listened to Milan laugh loudly from the kitchen. His phone buzzed again.

:( I wanted to see you

Lucas felt his face heat up a bit and he pulled the phone close, moving the leg that was over the armrest so that it crossed his other leg. His fingers moved quickly as he typed.

:( do you miss me

The screen showed that Jens read it just a second after it was sent, and Lucas smiled.

constantly

Lucas's smile grew and he shifted his grip on the phone to begin typing again when the phone was pulled out of his hands abruptly. He looked up in horror at Ralph, who wasn't looking at the screen, but at Lucas, with a sarcastic what have I told you face.

"Always on your phone..."

"Ralph, give it back," Lucas said quickly as he lunges forward to grab it. Ralph pulled it out of reach.

"Who are you talking to that's so important?" Ralph held the phone above his head, the screen facing him, and held his other arm out to push Lucas back as he grabbed and reached for it.

"Jens..." Ralph read. "Oh, Jens from the party!" The phone buzzed again, a short, quick buzz, that meant Jens had sent another message while the screen was open. "When's our next date?"

"Give it back," Lucas said angrily and pushed Ralph's hand out of the way as he reached one last time, finally grabbing the phone as Ralph stared.

"Is that's where you've been going? On dates? With Jens?" Ralph's voice became quieter. Lucas suddenly realized that he couldn't hear Milan and Zoë anymore, and glanced at the door to the living room to make sure they weren't there.

They weren't. He could only hope they couldn't hear them, that they had gone to Zoë's room or something.

"They're not dates," Lucas responded, looking at his phone and turning away as he messaged Jens.

I don't know

"Does Jens know that?" Ralph asked softly.

Lucas turned around, glaring at Ralph.

"Yes. It's a joke."

Ralph nodded slowly.

"Okay."