Donderdag 20:07

LUCAS
Skating in the night with Jens gave Lucas a certain feeling that he'd never felt before. It was exhilarating.

It was dark out, and the sidewalks were lit by street lamps and light emitted from the houses and stores they passed. The only sounds Lucas could hear was the skateboards over the pavement, passing cars, and the occasional house that had music too loud. The whole world felt like a watercolor painting.

At some point, Jens stopped and Lucas skidded to stop next to him.

"Where are we?"

"Come." Jens gave him a look, a you'll find out kind of look. Lucas went with it.

Jens stopped his backpack and skateboard next to the fence, behind a pile of rubble, and Lucas did the same as Jens pulled himself over the chain-link.

As Jens dropped to the ground on the other side, Lucas stood up, facing the fence. They stood face to face, and Jens quirked his eyebrows at him, like "come on." Lucas jumped the fence, landing next to Jens, and then stood and wiped his hands on Jens's jacket. Jens laughed quietly and tried to move out of the way.

Lucas followed Jens as he made his way between apartment buildings until they came across a children's playground. The only light came from the apartment with the lights on. It looked like it hadn't been used in years, with rust on the chains of the swings, and leaves and dirt on the floor of the raised part of it. Jens jumped up onto the playground and sat on the ledge of it, where it cut off at the monkey bars. Lucas hesitated, and then followed.

"Are we allowed to be here?" he asked quietly.

"I don't know," Jens said as he shrugged. "I've just been wanting to come here for a while."

Lucas looked around. It was an empty park, surrounded by tall buildings, not a soul around. It was completely silent. Lucas smiled.

"It's a good place," he almost whispered. He set his hand down next to him, right next to Jens's. He was suddenly nervous about holding Jens's hand, even though in a private place it should have been easier.

"Yeah," Jens breathed. He lifted his hand and held it out between them. Lucas looked at his hand and then Jens. Jens was looking out in front of them, a small smile on his face.

Lucas took his hand.

As soon as Lucas set his hand in Jens's, Jens turned his head to look at Lucas. Lucas hadn't realized how close they were sitting until then. Their hands drifted together until they were resting on Jens's leg, like earlier. Their fingers twisted, gently squeezing.

Lucas glanced from Jens's eyes to his lips, and then back. His heart was pounding. The air around them felt thick. Jens leaned forward slowly, and then stopped and looked into Lucas's eyes. Lucas gave him a small smile and leaned in himself.

They both held their breaths as they came closer. Lucas's eyes closed. Lucas could feel Jens's lips just beginning to touch his, and his mouth opened, and –

"Hey! What are you doing here?" a loud voice broke through the air.

Lucas and Jens jumped back, their hands unlocking, and Jens looked past Lucas at who had spoken.

"Uhm, isn't this a public park?" Jens asked, trying to act casually. Lucas covered his mouth to silence his giggles. Jens glanced at Lucas and smiled with wide eyes.

"No. This is a private area. You have to leave."

Jens nodded and grabbed Lucas's shoulder.

"Okay, we're leaving right now."

Jens pushed his shoulder and they both jumped down from the platform and started to walk toward where they came from.

"Did you really think it was public?" Lucas asked.

"No, I knew it was private, I just didn't think anyone would be there." Jens started laughing as he spoke.

"Are you insane?" Lucas hissed at him, trying not to laugh. Jens stepped ahead of Lucas and turned halfway to look at him.

"A little bit?"

Lucas took a big step forward and wrapped an arm around Jens's neck, jumping and pulling him down.

"You're such an idiot."

Jens reached up and grabbed Lucas's hand with his and squeezed.

"That's why you like me."

Lucas bumped his forehead against Jens's shoulder.

"If my stuff isn't there when we get back, I'm going to kill you."

"Honestly, that's fair."

"Jens..."

"It will be, don't worry, pretty boy."