I . T O M B S T O N E

EVERY LITTLE THING
Copyright © 2020 by MischiefMaidenX

——————————

A/N: First things first, the timeline of this story is 29 years after Sarah's birth in A Thousand Miles From Nowhere. Since that story took place in the year 2018, if you want to get techincal, that means this story is nearly 30 years in the future. So music, fashion, slang, all of the cultural things that change throughout the years probably won't be what is portrayed in this book. I'm going off my own personal taste and incorporating it into the story. So for anyone that wants to get technical, just don't. Save us all the headache and just enjoy the story for what it is. ^_^

I hope you're enjoying the story so far and continue to read it as the story progresses. Remember to vote, comment, and add to your reading list for updates.

———
I . T O M B S T O N E

S A R A H

Numb.

It's been six months since that dreary night when I got called into the office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation building downtown and had my life completely turned upside down. Six months later and I'm still numb—a zombie of the woman I once was.

Sure, I'm desperately trying to keep myself together, especially in front of Caleb but damn, it's a never-ending uphill battle. 

A smaller callused hand clutches mine as I stand motionless in front of the tombstone I've come to visit nearly every day since the day we buried him six feet in the ground.

My eyes advert to the top of my son's dark curls as he leans over to lay the side of his face against my arm while he stares at the concrete slab.

CHRISTOPHER MARTIN GARCIA
12/7/19XX-1/20/20XX
BELOVED SON, HUSBAND, & FATHER

Six months later, it still doesn't feel real. The grief of loss, it's still there. The denial, anger, depression—it's all still imminent, rotating in a constant vicious cyclone.

Maybe it's still there because I lost the love of my life or because I still don't have this closure about his death and who brought this torturous pain to my family.

Killed in the line of duty...following a lead according to his teammate Hailey Peterson.

There was an anonymous tip through the FBI hotline about a perpetrator, Nikolas Volkov, they were trying to catch being spotted at the Remington Motel downtown. A rundown motel that most people don't go to unless you're in the process of meeting a prostitute or a lover that needs to be kept on the down-low from an unknowing significant other.

When Christopher and Hailey arrived, they'd made their way to the motel room where they were bombarded by Volkov who managed to get a hold of Hailey's firearm, holding it against her so that Christopher would lower his weapon.

Somehow Hailey got free enough to knock the gun out of Volkov's hand and Christopher tackled him to the ground.

Unknown to the both of them, Volkov had a concealed knife that he then used to stab my husband three times, causing him to bleed out and die on the scene before the paramedics even made it.

In the ruckus, Volkov got away and Hailey didn't pursue him because she wanted to attend to Christopher's wounds—so in the end, they lost him.