X L I I I . A B D U C T I O N

EVERY LITTLE THING
Copyright © 2020 by MischiefMaidenX

——————————

Remember to vote and comment <3

——————————
X L I I I . A B D U C T I O N

A D A M

While leaning back in the chair at the sheriff's desk, I toss the stress ball that Nate would religiously utilize and toss it up in the air. It's only been a little over a week since I temporarily took over and I can understand now why he did. I squeeze it once in my hands and toss it again, noticing Freya flinch beside me where she sits.

"No, this isn't a toy for you," I bop her on the nose with it and she sneezes. I chuckle at her while scratching the top of her head.

A call comes through at the front desk where our secretary, also dispatch, sits. She holds the phone to her ear and I watch her warily as her face goes from all smiles to an immediate frown. When she turns towards me, she points towards the phone for me to listen in on the call.

Picking up the phone, I switch it over to line seven where all of our incoming calls go to for dispatch. As soon as I hear the frantic call coming in from the emergency operator, my heart jolts to a stop at the words she's speaking.

"—Just please send an ambulance to Roberts Stables, a woman has been shot. Her name is Maddie Pierce, she's a veterinarian doctor from Clinton Hills. Please hurry before she bleeds out."

Robert Stables. Doctor Pierce. Sarah. The boys. Gunshot? Today was the day they were going with Sarah out to the stables to see a foal being born.

Grabbing my cell phone, I quickly dial Sarah's number to make sure they're okay and the call immediately goes through to voicemail. Fuck. I try Lance's next and it's the same scenario. I attempt both Sam and Caleb's and just like the previous two times—nothing.

With a frustrated growl, I hold the office phone to my cheek with my shoulder and speak into the mouthpiece as I continue attempting to get a call through to either of them. "This is acting sheriff Adam Michaelson of Clinton Hills speaking, what happened to the other woman and three children that were with her. Were they shot as well?" I ask with an authoritative tone, hoping my voice doesn't break at the unnerving doom residing in my chest cavity.

"I'm not sure if they were shot but the car that Doctor Garcia was driving is missing. We all heard the gunshot and when we ran outside, it was only Doctor Pierce laying on the ground. We have cameras here but haven't looked at the tapes yet. We didn't want to touch anything and have the authorities handle it," she sobs with a trembling voice. I hear her move away from the phone to tell someone it's going to be okay, that help is on the way. I assume it's Doctor Pierce.

"Good job Miss—?"

"My names Beth, I work at the stables."

"Good job, Beth, no one touches those tapes or the rest of the crime scene. Deputies should've already received the call and are on their way momentarily. I'm leaving right now myself." I announce and before she can say anything further, I hang up the phone, letting her talk to our dispatcher instead.

I grab my things and whistle for Freya to follow me. As I'm pacing out of the station, I call Jackson, knowing he's at the hospital today helping out instead of working at our town clinic. From time to time he goes back and forth between the two when needed. On the third ring, he answers.