X X X I . S A D B L U E E Y E S

EVERY LITTLE THING
Copyright © 2020 by MischiefMaidenX

——————————

Remember to vote and comment <3

——————————
X X X I . S A D B L U E E Y E S

S A R A H

Smooth sailing.

That's what it's been like for me since the night of the Fall Festival. Honestly, it's been a little too smooth and I'm beginning to panic, waiting for the ground to drop out beneath me and suck me into the unavoidable drama of life. Seriously, I'm just waiting.

Call me a depressing individual who can't accept the finer things in life that are happening to me but I'm just being a realist here. Life isn't meant to be perfect—I've learned that the hard way.

Taking a deep breath in an attempt to calm my damn mind, I open the door to Jackie's diner to have a quick lunch up at the counter. I would've liked Adam to join me but he just texted me saying he's caught up at work which is fine. We'll see each other later since it's Friday. Whether I decide to go out or stay in, Adam will be right there by my side. Always.

I take a seat at one of the backless stools and rest my elbows on the counter while I wait to be served. Glancing around to people watch, a certain person catches my eye and I frown.

Why in God's graces is Mom here alone? Where's Dad?

I push off the counter and walk over to the small booth she's sitting at with a worried look in her eyes. She didn't even notice me walk in, let alone walk up, which tells me just how out of it she is.

"Mama? What are you doing here alone?" I ask concerned. She finally adverts her blue eyes in my direction and gives me a quick forced smile as I lean over to give her a hug.

"Hey, baby. What are you doing here?" she asks, avoiding my question in a strained cheerful voice that makes my body shiver as she pulls me in for a tighter-than-tight hug.

"Having a quick lunch," I smile and take a seat across from her.

Mom slowly nods her head, staring down at the plate of a barely eaten BLT. Suddenly, as if an imaginary light bulb goes off over her head, she jerks up to look me in the eyes. They glance around, brows furrowed and once again, a forced smile is put in place. This is so unlike Rebekah Daniels.

"Where's Adam sweetheart? Doesn't he usually meet up with you for lunch?"

"Yeah, he does but he just texted me about ten minutes before my lunch break to let me know he wouldn't make it today. Apparently, he's caught up with mounds of paperwork," I shrug. "It's okay though, Mama. We'll catch up later."

Mom shakes her head in agreement and reaches over the table to hold my hand. Hers is slightly shaking and I grip it tightly. She gives me another smile but it doesn't reach her eyes.

Instead of seeing the usual happiness in her blue eyes, I see sadness...loneliness. The same look I had before Adam and I reconciled.

"That good, sweetheart. Always make time for one another when you're not busy. Don't ever let the romance between you two...die out."