X L I X . S U R P R I S E

EVERY LITTLE THING
Copyright © 2020 by MischiefMaidenX

——————————

Remember to vote and comment <3

——————————
X L I X . S U R P R I S E

S A R A H

The sound of monotone beeping and the stench of antiseptic chemicals wakes me from what feels like the worst hangover I've ever encountered in all of my twenty-nine years. The inside of my mouth tastes like cotton and when I swallow down the golf ball-sized lump in my throat, it burns horribly. As I go to move, my body aches and a soft groan escapes my lips before I even manage to open my eyes.

I hear a small gasp beside me and my right hand is immediately being held with a gentle touch.

"Sarah? Sweetheart, are you okay? It's Momma."

My heart pounds against my chest at the sound of my mom's warm voice and I finally open my eyes with a flutter of my lids. The bright light above me causes them to squint close, being too much for my pulsing head. I hear Mom stand up, still holding onto my hand mind you, and hear the clicking sound of a light switch.

"There you go, not so bright now," she softly laughs but I can hear the concern in it as she clears her throat. "If you're too tired honey, go back to sleep. You deserve it."

"No," I manage to get out, my voice croaking and when I move my left hand to my throat to ease the pain, the action is stopped when my left arm comes to an abrupt stop. I open my eyes into slits to take note of the sling across my chest, holding my left arm up. The ache in my left shoulder quickly reminds me of when I had to pop it back into place after the accident.

The accident. What lead to it and all of which came after, crosses my mind in a flash. My heartbeat begins to pick up and the beeping from the machine I'm hooked up to echoes inside the small room. Mom reaches beside me to press the nurse's button with haste.

"It's okay, sweetheart. You're fine. You're safe," Mom calmly assures me while softly rubbing her fingers through my now untangled hair.

The door to my room opens up and there's a soft knock as a nurse in hot pink scrubs walks in. The woman with black hair that's pulled up into a slick ponytail and who has caramel-colored skin smiles warmly at me as she approaches the left side of my bed to look over my vitals.

"Well good afternoon Mrs. Garcia. My name is Natasha and I'll be your nurse for today. So glad to finally see you awake. Had a bit of freight there for a moment when you got brought in," she informs me and I only nod my head.

I'm sure everyone did. I was a fucking mess.

God, I wonder how bad I actually look now? Okay, I lied. I don't want to know because that'll only make me feel worse when I see the hideous state I'm most likely in. However, I'm hoping for the most part, that I look better than I did hours ago since I've gotten fluids shoved into my veins for the last several hours plus some much-needed rest.

"Umm, can I get some water?" I ask, my voice breaking again.

"Sure thing, honey. I'm sure your throat is parched," the nurse smiles, and Mom lets go of my hand to walk over to the tray next to the door and pours me a small cup of water. I slowly lean myself up with the help of Natasha and rest back against the stack of pillows I've been given.