X X X I V . I ' M R I G H T H E R E

EVERY LITTLE THING
Copyright © 2020 by MischiefMaidenX

——————————

Remember to vote and comment <3

——————————
X X X I V . I ' M R I G H T H E R E

A D A M

"The voicemail box you're trying to reach is currently full. Please try your call again at a later time."

I hit the red end call button on the screen of my phone with an aggressive thumb and pace back and forth in the hallway of the ICU waiting room.

"Sarah, pick up your phone, sweetheart," I mutter to myself as I lean back against the wall and try her phone again. It rings and rings until it gets to voicemail and I bump my head back against the wall a couple of times before pushing myself off. My Stetson on my head tilts forward and I quickly adjust it back into place.

I'm two seconds away from leaving to go get her. I know and I completely understand that she's upset, fuck so am I because I hate seeing her in pain but I know if she doesn't get here, she'll never forgive herself if the doctors happen to give bad news.

It didn't look good back at the sheriff station and the sight of Nate Daniels struggling for his life as his heart started to give out on him will be a vision that'll haunt me for the rest of my life.

Thankfully the first responders were on it, getting there as soon as possible and rushing him towards the county hospital twenty minutes away. They had a surgical heart doctor on stand by just in case it got worse.

Drew had ridden over with him on the way there while Kyle, Mason, and Penelope drove over to the hospital in one of their government-issued SUVs. I stayed back a moment to get everything in order at the station since now I'm the temporary Sheriff until further notice. I ordered my deputies to hold down the fort and assured them I'd keep in touch on Nate's condition.

On the way towards the other edge of town, Freya wined in the back as I tried desperately to get a hold of Sarah. Of course she didn't answer and after a couple of missed calls, I called Bex. Because she was so frantic on the phone, I knew she couldn't drive on her own so I stopped by the school and picked her up.

The whole way to Summerville, Bex stayed quiet as she twisted her fingers around one another. Her breathing was shallow and I could tell at any moment she was going to break down. I had reached over and held her hand until we pulled up into the emergency room parking lot.

Now, ten minutes later and I'm still trying to get a hold of Sarah as well as the rest of her family.

The ICU waiting room is full of people, a majority of them being the Daniels family. Jackson and Lee sit in one corner with their kids, Sarah's aunt and uncle sit beside them, helping keep the twins preoccupied. Ford and Lexie sit on the other side, trying to calm down a worried Caleb who keeps asking about where his mom is. Lance sits in the chair next to him and puts an arm around him in a manly side hug with Freya at their feet.

"It's okay man, your mom is okay she probably just hasn't gotten the messages yet. She'll be here," Lance coaxes Caleb and for a moment I couldn't be prouder of my kid.