X X X . A T H O U S A N D W O R D S

EVERY LITTLE THING
Copyright © 2020 by MischiefMaidenX

——————————

Remember to vote and comment <3

——————————
X X X . A  T H O U S A N D  W O R D S

S A R A H

As soon as Caleb takes off, I'm on his tail frantically trying to catch up to him so I can explain everything.

The look that was in his eyes when he realized that there was something more going on between one of his best friend's dad and his mom, is haunting me. Betrayal, hurt, confusion, denial. It all poured out within the sheen of his dark brown eyes.

I should've told him sooner.

I really should have but I was being selfish and wanted to hold onto the thrill of secrecy both Adam and I had with one another. What makes it even more horrendous is that it was from my own child that I was being reserved from. Because it's not like everyone else in my family, aside from the kids, know about Adam and I's relationship.

Worst. Mother. Ever.

Here I was not even three weeks ago, demanding the truth from my family about Adam, irritated that they lied to me for so long, and yet I'm doing the same thing to Caleb.

Hypocrite.

Full-blown hypocrite.

To make matters even worse, as I'm so deep in thought about my fuck up, I lose Caleb in the crowd, and panic begins to overwhelm me.

"Caleb? Caleb!" I yell out and a few people turn to look at me questionably. I turn around, looking every which way and I begin to let my mind go to the worst-case scenario.

He's been kidnapped.

Hey, I've watched every episode of Criminal Minds. This is how it happens. A vulnerable child walks into a crowd of people away from their parents and the serial kidnapper/killer abducts them right in plain sight.

My heart races, pounding against the tender bone of my chest until I can barely breathe. I continue to swivel my head around, desperately trying to find where he could've gone.

"Aunt Sarah?" a concerned voice calls out to me from behind. I turn my head and Chloe is standing with a couple of her friends with wide eyes. "Aunt Sarah are you okay?"

"Caleb...I can't find him. He ran off and I lost him," I swallow, with my hand at my throat as if I'm trying to claw out the breath I need.

Chloe's gaze softens and she looks over her shoulder in the direction of the park. When she turns back towards me, she nods her head.

"I just saw him run into the park. Since it's the Fall Festival, not many kids are playing there so I'd check the top of the big kids playground. Since not many little ones can play on that one, that's where all the older kids like to hang out. Sam used to go there all the time with Lance when they'd need to talk about what Lance was going through because of his mom," she shrugs and gives me a soft smile.