50

A year ago, if Soobin isn't wrong, he had this conversation with his brother he didn't quite understand back then. And probably it was because Seokjin was telling him a backstory about his and Namjoon's relationship which somehow turned into a lecture he knew nothing about.

He remembers it was at their house garden, on this one Sunday afternoon when the weather was fine. Namjoon sent Seokjin gifts since he was in a business meeting out of the country and apparently he and Seokjin had a plan for that day which couldn't be helped but get cancelled so Namjoon sent the gifts to compensate for his absence. Soobin remembers scoffing at the gesture, not really seeing the point of going through such measures when it could easily be done with a simple apology.

He recalled Seokjin rolling his eyes at him and throwing him a pack of French macarons and him, throwing it back just to spite his brother.

"Just admit you're jealous and go." Seokjin said as he placed the bouquet of white tulips down on the garden table.

"And why would I be?"

"Because I, my dear brother, have someone who genuinely loves me and cares for me and most of all, spoils me with these gifts while you have your folders and books as your lifeless company."

"I can do all that to myself alone." Soobin shook his head, dismissing what Seokjin said unworthy of his time and returned his attention back on his book.

"This is why you have a permanent scowl on your face." His brother gushed. "Listen, Soob, handing out chances isn't as bad as you like to think. Honestly, I used to think that way before too until I met Namjoon— eventually, everything changed and I found this whole new perception of things where all is brighter and lively and then one day I woke up and realized I wasn't faking my smiles anymore."

Soobin paused on his place, gaping at this person like he didn't know who he is. Never once he imagined witnessing this side of Seokjin but there it was, presenting itself right in front of him.

"You have gone mad."

"I know, it's concerning." He heard a sigh, "but I guess that's just what love does to you—it turns you into a different version of yourself that's real odd but; happier."

"Exactly why I don't want it." the younger deadpanned as if his statement spoke all the reasons. "I don't want anyone to take full control over me like that—I don't want to be this happy version of myself just to crumble down and forget who I was the moment they leave—I refuse to go through that."

Seokjin looked at his brother with sympathetic eyes and gave a soft smile though he was aware Soobin wasn't looking back. He was still reading his book.

"A person who truly loves you would never dare do that although that person knows they have all the power to do so. That person would never leave you no matter how hard the situation gets—and yeah, love isn't always blissful, you'll have your fair share of hardships too, sometimes more, but it'll be alright—because that person is more than willing to suffer through life with you—because they think and they know you're worth it."

Soobin ignored Seokjin, not trying to make himself understand what the other just said, however, it was undeniable that the words echoed inside his head.

Now, who would've thought Soobin would feel those very same words deep within his chest, bursting at his every seam as he stared at this brunette who's all curled up and peacefully sleeping against him.