Something Old

Cara followed her wife begging for her to listen, but Zion wasn't having any of it, instead she was crying and avoiding the other.

"Please, Zion, please! Listen to me"

Zion then turned around very pissed.

"You lost her! It's your fault I didn't get to raise my baby and now you're allowing her to leave!!!" spat out Zion "Now I won't see her ever again! You always destroy everything that I love!!!"

Cara was very surprised.

"Y-you don't mean it"

"Yes, yes I do! I had to leave my family to marry you, I had a child and you lost it, you never do anything right!!!"

"You can't blame for everything! You wanted to marry me, we are in love!"

Zion looked at her very serious.

"Look... I think that the only reason we stayed together is because we were mourning our daughter"

"What?" asked Cara.

"... I don't love you anymore, Cara" confessed Zion.

Cara's whole world fell apart.

"What? No, you can't be serious" said the queen, about to cry.

"Yes, yes I am. I... Always resented you for losing her. At first I thought that her being alive would fix things, but now I realize that we are broken" said Zion "I appreciate you. You took care of me while I was sick, we grew up together and I will always have you in my mind... But I can't pretend that our marriage isn't pointless any longer"

Cara felt like she was about to faint, so she dug her claws in a wall.

"No, Zion... Don't do this to me. I love you, I am sure we can fix things" said Cara.

"Cara... I don't want to fix nothing. I want us to get a divorce"

Cara was devasted, but she had been raised not to lose her temper. It was very hard for a magicat not to lose her temper, but it helped that her personality was more avoidant and more about hiding her feelings. So Cara, despite of preferring to die rather than lose the love of her life, nodded in agreement. Then left Zion crying in that isolated corridor and went to talk to her royal lawyers. In a couple of hours they had all the documents ready, since the queens getting divorced was a big deal.

The one who had asked for the divorce, in Purrsia, had to be the first to sign the papers.

"Are you sure?" asked Cara "I love you, Zi, we grew up together and I will do anything to fix this-"

Zion didn't even let her finish the sentence, she signed the documents and right after left looking more relaxed than ever. Cara, on the other hand, cried her eyes out as she signed the papers.

When that night Cara didn't attend the dinner Zion knew that she had to tell C'yra. Both she and Adora seemed to be more calm.

"Why isn't mom here?" asked Catra.

Zion looked at her daughter and immediately thought that she couldn't make her cry too.

"She just hates saying goodbye" lied "I have to ask you something"

"Sure, what is it?" asked Catra very curious.

"I would like to join you in your return to Brightmoon. I have friends there that I haven't seen for years and I want to get to know you better"

Catra and Adora agreed.

Cara saw them leaving. She saw her now ex-wife and felt nauseous, revolted by the idea of not seeing her ever again.

"I am sorry, Cara" said a voice behind her.

"No, you never liked her"

"You're right, I never liked her. But I am still sorry because you're hurt" said the voice.

Cara felt the old magicat approaching her and sitting next to her.

"I don't know what I am going to do" confessed.

"Do the only thing you can do now" said the other "accept it and move on"

"I can't! I love her" said Cara "I have always loved her"

"You deserve better than someone who has left you without second thought"

"I hurt her, I understand why she's mad"

"I understand it too, but you will probably spend your whole life punishing yourself for what happened, and you need someone by your side who allows you to heal, not someone who makes the old wounds bleed over and over"

Cara knew that she was right, but wouldn't admit it out loud.

"Cara, dear, maybe you should consider this time what your father and I wanted for you" said the old magicat.

"Mom, please"

"I am sure she will be delighted to know that you can see her"

"Mother"

"Cara, she's a good person. Give it a chance, if it doesn't work then you stop it"

Cara thought about it. Catra maybe wouldn't return, Zion had left her and she had no one else than her old mom to talk to. So she made her decision.

"Okay mother, I will"