Out of the Rain | Meulin x Reader

Requested by __kork__

The sun had just dipped below the trees, light still shining through. The chattering of birds and rustling of leaves in the wind filled your ears. As you take a step out from your small home the sweet smell of flowers hits your nose.

You take a seat under the pergola, sitting your tea next to you on the table beside you. Luckily it wasn't very windy today, so you could finally enjoy the outdoors for a bit.

Mindlessly you watch the fish swim around in the pond, taking small sips of your tea. You weren't sure how much time had passed, but by the time you snapped out of your calming daydream it was beginning to darken. You look up to see that clouds bad begun to form overhead. They had appeared so suddenly, but you knew that they were rain clouds.

That's when you decide that it was time to head inside to begin making dinner for yourself. You pick up your cup and get up from your seat. The wind begins to pick up as you make your way back inside.

Once you get inside you sit your cup down in the sink and begin to look through the cupboards for an easy dinner. As you do so you hear the tapping of rain coming down on the roof.

Finally you decide to heat up a stew you had made the other day. So you get it out of the fridge, take the lid off and put it in the microwave.

While you were entertaining yourself with playing games on your phone, you hear a small noise. You stop playing, looking up from your phone.

Meow!

You turn and look out your glass back door to see a pair of green eyes peering up at you.

Meow.

You get up from your spot and open the door, as soon as you do a small black bundle of fur darts inside, trailing water in behind it. You quickly close the door and go after it. You don't run, not wanting to scare the small thing.

You see it dart under your couch. So you get down and look under it, seeing those same green eyes blinking at you.

"Come on," you coo, "it's okay."

It takes a moment before it crawls out from under the couch.

"Hello there little one." You smile.

The cat mewls in response, tail swishing. You weren't sure if that meant 'hello' or 'I will kill you in your sleep'. When its head bumps against your hand you take it as the former.

You flinch slightly at the water that wipes onto your hand.

"Let's get you dried up."

You gently pick the cat up and head towards your bathroom. Surprisingly she didn't lash out at you, instead she presses against your shirt, wetting it.

You place her on the counter and pull out a towel. You begin to dry her with it, making sure not to be too rough.

"There we go," you continue to talk to the cat, "now how about something to eat."

~~~

It had been a month since the stray cat had decided to make your home hers. Since then you had gotten more shifts at work so you've had less time to spend with her.

You had just finished your 10 hour shift, ready to drop dead on your feet. You open your front door, dragging your feet as you walk in.

"Bubbles, I'm home." you call out.

When you don't hear her meow in return, you begin to worry. You look in the lounge room, the kitchen, the bathroom and no cat. You hear something making sounds in your bedroom.

"Bubbles?"

You open your bedroom door to see a weird... person? Sitting on your bed.

You let out a scream, tripping over backwards and onto the hard wooden floor.

The person turns to look at you, her yellow eyes blinking in confusion.

"What're you doing on the floor, (y/n)?"

"How do you know my name?!"

The grey skinned humanoid pouts, "it's me, uh, Bubbles."

You blink a few times, "you really think I would believe you."

She pauses, thinking.

"Yesterday you were talking to me about a guy at work who slipped on a banana peel a kid left there," she spoke up, "you asked if he wanted help up but he didn't reply, just started singing Africa by Toto."

That was, oddly specific, and you had no idea how someone else would know about this.

"Alright, so, I'm assuming your name isn't actually Bubbles."

"My name is Meulin." She purrs.

You nod, not sure what to say.

"And, um, what are you exactly?" you query.

"Well I'm a troll, silly."

You just nod, having absolutely no idea what a 'troll' was. Maybe a cryptid? An alien?

"So how did you come to my house, as a cat, and only now turned back?"

She looks down, "well, I don't really remember how I turned into a cat, but for some reason I can't turn back into one."

You had now gotten yourself off of the ground.

Just as you were about to speak up again, Meulin interrupts you, "please don't kick me out, I don't like the rain."

Your eyes widen, not expecting what had just come from her mouth.

"Of course not," you smile, "you've already lived here this long, haven't you."

"Thank you so much!"

She leaps up from her spot onto the bed and wraps her arms around your neck, pulling you in for a hug. You laugh as she rubs her cheek against yours, a purr coming from her throat.

You just thought that you had picked up a new cat, but you found a new roommate instead.