I Want It Painted Black

Everything Is Dark

Everything Is Dark

HOSPITAL ROOM
12:00pm
Figures grow blurry. They disappear into a blinding light. It's as if she's underwater. It's similar to the strange dreams she would have when she was a child. Jane starts to float away.

"We're losing her," someone says, panicked. Suddenly, from the darkness, Edward reaches out a misty hand. A brilliant light flares. Sparks tickle Jane's chest, causing it to rise.

Electricity.

It's comforting to know Lucy Fugue stands with her even during her long-awaited death.

It feels peaceful.

Her eyes are completely shut closed, but they slowly open. She squints at the bright light.

Life... is harder..

An oxygen tube rests under her nose. She reaches for it, disorientated and confused. A hand stops her as her surroundings come into focus. "Oh. Thank God you're awake." It's Charlie. He reaches for a hug. Jane lies in a hospital bed. Bandaged, tubes sit under her nose. She's in bad shape. Charlie hovers over her with tears in his eyes. On the dresser, she sees some get-well-cards and a photo montage of her and Alice Cullen. It had Alice neatly written atop.

"Bella? Where's -," Jane gets cut off as Charlie points to the bed besides Jane's. She sees a wide awake Bella. She looks back at Jane and smiles slightly. Jane recognized that smile. She's afraid of her. Jane frowns, looking over at the woman who stands behind her uncle. She's around Jane's height, maybe a bit taller. Vibrant, blue eyes shined through, contrasting her brown hair. She smiles down at Jane and introduces herself, "Hi. I'm Rene. I'm sorry, I don't think we've met. I'm Bella's mother."

Jane nods her head and releases a raspy, "Hi. Nice to meet you." Charlie turns and grabs the woman's shoulders, leading her outside. "Alright. Let's let the girls catch up." The door shuts behind them. Jane sighs loudly and turns to find a "sleeping" Edward. "They're gone. You can wake up now," she tells him. He lifted his head and smiled at Jane and Bella. He stands up off the leather couch and walks towards Bella with deep concern. He kisses her forehead soothingly. Jane's heart shatters a bit, but she remains silent.

"Is James - did you," Bella stutters. Edward turns his head to look at Jane and frowns, watching her turn her head away from the duo. "We finished him off," he simply states, looking down at Bella. "Victoria, she ran off."

Bella closes her eyes with relief, then looks at him.
"I'm alive because of you," she says. His face noticeably darkens, "You're in here because of me." Her wounds cause him pain. He strokes her face. Jane rolls her eyes, struggling to lift herself off the hospital bed. With a puff she removes the device that sits under her nose and pulls the blankets off. Bella and Edward look back at her as she walks off.