The Tribe's History

BEHIND JACOB'S HOUSE      A group is gathered around the fire, eating hot dogs and laughing

      A group is gathered around the fire, eating hot dogs and laughing. Billy sits at the natural head of the circle. Old Quil, Quil's ancient grandfather, sits on one side of him, Sue Clearwater on the other. The three council leaders. The whole pack is here; Paul, Quil, Embry, Jared, and Sam, with Emily at his side.

     Leah sullenly stares into the fire. Meanwhile, a young Quileute girl about Quil's age is definitely giving him the eye. Across the sand – Jacob leads Bella and Jane toward roaring fires. "You sure this is okay? I really hate being a party crasher," Bella says, uncomfortable. "Technically, you're a Council Meeting crasher. See. The Council leaders, Dad, Quil's grandpa, and Sue Clearwater. She took over for Harry when he died," he replies, smiling at his imprint.

        "Okay, I should not be here," she chuckles. "You're okay. I thought... I mean, they thought it would be good for you to hear the histories," he replies. "The histories? The tribe's histories? Aren't they secret," Bella asks as the three of them make their way deeper into the party.

"We all got a role to play. And you're my imprint," he takes her hand, "It's also the first time Seth, Leah and Quil are hearing them, too. But Jane is the first outsider. Ever," he replies, looking at Jane as she crosses her arms, scanning the area. They're interrupted by a gangly-limbed boy, Seth, 15. He trots up like a puppy. He clearly idolizes Jacob.

"Jake, hey! It's about time, you got here. Paul's been hoovering the grub. But, I saved you some burgers," he says, smiling at Jacob. Jacob smiles back at him and wraps his arm around Bella's waist. "Good looking out, bro. Jane, Bella, this is Seth Clearwater," Jacob introduces. Jane looks over at the boy and smiles, revealing her dimpled cheek. "Leah's brother. Newest member of the pack," he continues.

"Newest, bestest, brightest," he continues. Jane giggles, watching the both of them interact. "And slowest," Jacob cuts in. He grabs Seth in a headlock, the two tumble to the sand. Seth laughs, absolutely loving him. A whistle comes from the circle. It's Sam. Seth jumps up.

"Come on. Your dad's about to start," he says. "Alright," Jacob answers. Seth drags Jane, Jacob and Bella toward the bonfire. "The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning," Billy begins to tell the story. The fire in the center burns lower.

       "But we've always had magic in our blood," he continues. Everyone's attention is wholly on Billy and his voice commanding. "We were great spirit warriors... Shape shifters, that transform into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies, and protect our tribe." Jane absorbs the story, its images alive in her mind. Jacob glances at her, gauging her reaction. "One day our warriors came across a creature..."

FOREST CLEARING 1750'S
        Two Quileute warriors, all in human form, emerge from the trees, are horrified to find a male vampire. He wore the clothing of a mid-1700s Spaniard. The vampire is bent over two lifeless tribe girls. His eyes are blood red, feral. A terrifying image. "It looked like a man, but it was hard like stone, and cold as ice," Billy says.

       The two warriors phase into wolves and charge at the vampire. He grabs one of them, strangling him. The second wolf gets his teeth into the Vampire's neck and tears off his head. But the strangled wolf falls dead to the ground. "Our warriors' sharp teeth, finally tore it apart... But only fire would completely destroy it."

LA PUSH BEHIND JACOB'S HOUSE
The horrible visuals become alive in Jane's mind. "They lived in fear, the Cold Man was not alone. And they were right," Billy continues with the story.

QUILEUTE VILLAGE 1750'S
        Beautiful vampires, in a tattered 1700's Spanish gown, move through the Quileute village of long houses and teepees. A trail of dead bodies follow behind them. There are tribes-people screaming. "She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe, after his son was killed."

       Taha Aki, 60's – anguished, stands over his dead son, 20. His third wife, 40's, weeps inconsolably next to his body. Taha Aki spins toward the vampires and takes a running. He lunges at her, transforming into a great wolf. They clash. The third wife watches with horror as the Vampiress quickly gets the upper hand.

     "Taha Aki's Third Wife could sees that he would lose..."  The third wide pulls out a knife and runs toward the vampire who barely acknowledges the impending attack.

BEHIND JACOB'S HOUSE
Billy looks at Jane as he says, "The Third Wife was no magical being, no special powers, but one... Courage."

QUILEUTE VILLAGE
Jane's Imagination
      Jane's face now transforms into the third wide. Jane charges the vampire, dagger raised high – but as she nears, shockingly, she plunges the knife into her own heart. Blood flowers on Jane's chest. The vampire catches the scent and spins toward her, ravenous.

      "The Third Wife's sacrifice distracted the Cold Woman, long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe." The Taha Aki-wolf leaps onto the vampire, tearing the vampire apart. Jane lays, dying, her expression at peace. "Over time, our enemies have disappeared. But one remains... The Cold Ones."

BEHIND JACOB'S HOUSE
      Emotions conflict as Jane sees all this from the wolves point of view. "Our magic awakens when they near. And we sense it now, we feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming. And we must all be ready. All of us," Billy finishes the story.

FIN