12

Jane, 12December 16, 2000

Jane, 12
December 16, 2000

"Kay? Kay? Ms. Challis," the doctor calls for her girl's attention, but she's obviously elsewhere. Here sits Kay Olivia Challis. Twelve years of age. Mute. Pained.

Silence.

"Alright." A sigh can be heard throughout the patted room as her doctor releases a breath of hot air. He's getting nowhere. "Well, from what I see, you've been identifying yourself as," he stops to read his notes correctly, "Miranda?"

Silence.

He taps his pen against his notepad.

"Tap."
"Tap."
"Tap."

"Do you prefer that name, Ms. Challis," he asks the pre-teen. Kay Challis, also known as Miranda, has been in the same institution for two full weeks and no one had gotten her to say a single word. The girl looks completely lifeless. Her body functions normally, but it's as if she's soulless.

"Tap."
"Tap," it continues.

After what had happened in the chapel, Kay Challis was immediately rushed to the medical hospital. Nurses had tried numerous attempts to get the girl to talk, but failed each time. So, they sent to her Arkham; a mental institution for the insane. It lies within the streets of Gotham, New York.

Kay's station sit's besides a red-haired woman's. She would sometimes poke her head out the metal doors and watch her apply makeup on her face. Her lips always wears a mischievous smirk, followed by a bright, red lipstick. Her skin looks translucent, though it holds a green tint to it. Her shoulders are constantly covered by her vibrant, red hair. The twelve year old would occasionally hear nurses call the woman by the name of "Pamela Lillian Isley." Apparently, she once worked in the same facility.

"Miranda," the doctor repeats. At this, the girl looks up and sits up straight. It's the first time shes fully seen her doctor. It's a man. His head is adorned with light, brown hair. He's beautiful. She notices how something is off about him. His eyes. They look a regular brown color from afar, but as she leans in she sees tints of burgundy.

She also notices how similar he looks to her. Though, her hair is a darker color, it still holds a similar brown tint to his. It goes from their hair to their nose, their eye-shape, even their cheekbones are strikingly similar. They're all qualities she had gotten from her father.

"Oh no.. Miranda left, didn't she tell you? Driver 8 took her to her room yesterday," the girl giggles. Her naturally brown hair is now pulled into two mini space buns. "I'm BabyDoll," she exclaims, extending her hand.