The Secretary

SWAN RESIDENCE         Emmett and Alice stand several paces apart

SWAN RESIDENCE
Emmett and Alice stand several paces apart. They're both stone still, keeping watch and listening. They hear a sound, both spring at once to find the sound - they find two wolves. They're here to take over sentry duty. Slowly, Emmett and Alice back away, the wolves eying their every move. It's a truce; but a tense one.

MEADOW
Jane and Edward lay in the grass. He reads aloud from a book of Robert Frost poetry, "I think I know enough of hate, To say that, for destruction, Ice, is also great. And would suffice." Jane teasingly pulls the book away and moves to kiss him. He stops her, smiling. "You know, we have a English final. We have to focus," he says, running his hand down her tailbone.

"You're fucking immortal. You can read some other day." Jane grins and kisses him. The sun briefly comes out from behind the clouds, causing Edward's skin to sparkle. This makes the kiss appear magical. He pulls away smiling. "Marry me," proposes, smiling at her. Jane laughs, tossing her head back. It's not the first – nor the fiftieth – time he's asked. This is clearly a game between them.

"No," she answers, lifting an eyebrow. "Marry me," he asks her again. "It's too early," she replies. She runs her hand down his arm as he kisses her neck. "I've already waited too long," he mumbles against her skin. Jane giggles and replies, "Marriage is just a piece of paper, anyway."

"Where I am from, it's the way one says, 'I love you'," he replies, smiling as the sun rises behind her. It forms into a halo, making her look like an angel. Jane affectionatly pushes him away and jumps up. "Where I come from, at my age... It's the way one says, 'I just got knocked up' ," she replies.

Jane starts to gather up her coat and books. He's suddenly right in front of her. Edward playfully grabs her stuff from her. "So, you're worried about what people will think," he asks. "You know, two out of three marriages end in divorce," Jane responds, smiling. "Well, I think you'll find the... Vampire, human divorce rate is a little lower," he says, causing her smile to widen.

They're inches apart, the game laced with their attraction. "Just marry me," he says, pulling her close. "I can't. I have to be back at four. I'm supposed to come straight home from school today," she replies. They share a kiss. "You'll be on time. I won't give Hammerhead another reason to hate me," he replies. Edward easily slings Jane around onto his back.

LA PUSH
Bella and Jacob walk along the sand. "So, Alice is planning a big graduation party. Which you're invited to," she says, smiling. Jacob scoffs, causing her smile to drop. "Yeah, I figured that," she whispers, looking down at the sand. "What," Jacob asks, "You can't be serious. Do you remember what your birthday was like?"

     This strikes a nerve, making Bella angry. She stops in her tracks and turns to him. "Jacob, I'm going. Plus - I'm not the only. The entire school will be there," she stands her ground in the issue. Jacob takes her by the arms. "Bella, I don't want you to go. They will suck you and your friends alive," he replies through clenched teeth.

      Bella pushes against him angrily. "I'm going, whether you like it or not," she exclaims, turning to climb into his car. Jacob tries to apologize during the car ride but Bella ignores him.

SWAN RESIDENCE
  Bella, mad, climbs from Jacob's car. Jane screeches to a stop. She immediately notices Bella's anger. Jane runs toward Jacob, but Bella gets in her path. "Not here, Jane," she asks of her cousin. Jane looks at her but ignores her warning.

      "What the fuck did he do to you, Bella," she asks, glaring at the shapeshifter behind her cousin. "We just had a little argument. Everything's okay," Bella replies. Jacob goes to grab Bella but then Hammerhead takes cover. She's furious. "Keep your hands off her," she yells, pushing him back.

      He lands on his behind. Bella gasps and covers her mouth. He rises and throws his fist in the air. Hammerhead acknowledges his plan to attack. "Look at my fist, motherfucker," she mumbles. Their fists clash with each other. There's a horrible crunch on impact. Behind them Charlie exits and sees the hostility between them.

  He immediately heads for them. "Hey, hey, hey, hey... Easy, you two. Easy. Let's take it down a notch. Alright? What's going on," he asks. "Bella and I got in an argument, so Jane and I got into a small fight," Jacob answers. "It's Hammerhead, you musty smelli-" Charlie quickly cuts her off. "Leave," he instructs. With his head dipped, Jacob leaves to his car.

UPSTAIR'S HALLWAY
      "Oh, Bella," The Secretary sings behind Bella's door. "Come on, hun! I brought you a trente no foam, five-shot, half-calf, no-foam pumpkin spice latte with no foam at 210 degrees - Also get the fuck out!" The Secretary's sentence was cut short by Hammerhead.

      "Go away," Bella exclaims. Sighing, The Secretary places her head against her bedroom door. Bella hasn't left her room since her argument with Jacob. "Alright! But you better be out by the time I finish my Frappé," she says, kicking her door. Jane and her alters go about their day.

CULLEN HOUSE
        Carlisle and Edward looks on with concern, as the T.V plays the latest news. Jane stands by the kitchen counter, perusing several newspapers as she looks for an update. Flicking the page, she hears the Cullens speaking. "Okay, any Leads," Edward asks. "No sign of the intruder. But Victoria continues to make appearances," Jasper fills him in.

      "She's toying with us. Keeping us distracted," Carlisle says, quickly catching Victoria's game. "From Seattle," Emmett asks, unsure. "Or the intruder. Or something else," Jane presents the idea. "Alice can keep tracking her decisions but we have to track her on the ground," Edward states.

    "We've already cover the entire southern peninsula down to Quinault," Jasper replies. "We'll search the northwestern trail," Edward instructs. That's when Jane notices Rosalie standing out on the deck.

FIN