Case File: Connectivity #10

They show Ami more sights on this planetoid over the next couple of days.

Making sure to meet that well liked alLan as scheduled.

They are in a privacy area, which is connected to some nearby privacy areas by curtains. This group of areas has a door that controls access to the entire space.

A tray of drinks sits on the table. A table that might accommodate eight, but there are just four chairs. The alLan is furthest from the curtain, Ami and "second" are opposite him, "first" is along the far wall, but within hand holding reach of Ami.

The drinks are well chosen, something for each. Water for Ami and the alLan, favorite drinks of "first" and "second". The alLan prepared in advance to see their tastes.

After some sips by all, he says: "So, why did you want to meet with me?"

"Second": "Are you familiar with our friend here. Ami of Wroug?"

alLan: "Only as far as videos can convey. I will say that Ami, you, showed a remarkable joy in arriving in Lan Space. Even those rescued by the Lan and brought here, will show immense gratitude, but not joy. Honestly, most aliens come here quite downcast. So, Ami, do you like it here? In Lan Space?"

Ami smiles as looking towards the elLans: "Yes. Lots! I.I.. uhm it is so nice to be here, to be away."

alLan: "Do you like Lans? Either generally or specifically?"

Ami: "Oh, definitely! Yes."

The alLan to "second": "So you were saying."

"Second": "Ami has a large following among the Lan, for her actions on Wroug. Giving up her swap plane self as a stand in for a Lan. She was rejected as citizen candidate some time ago, and we think she could fail in a second formal test. But not for earnestness. She really does want to belong. I brought us here because of the limited citizenship form that is sometimes available. My goal is to see the Lan supply to Ami for her gift. This could be quite a risky move, especially for a timid alien girl. I think we need a protector as a belonger in the relationship. I want your advice and any suggestions... possibly of others, if needed.. someone to be a protector and a belonger."

alLan: "Ami would you, taste the drinks of elLans and describe them."

Ami: "Hmm 'first's drink is sweet but kind of thick. 'second's drink is kind of bitter."

The alLan considers the use of nicknames and the reactions of all three to sharing and describing the tastes. Nothing seems unbalanced in the relationships and tones. He stands and walks over to Ami, who has given him her full attention.

alLan: "Do you like how I look? Lans, alLans, elLans do we please you?"

Ami nods, but then gets up and says: "Wait. Give me a minute."

Ami walks over to the alLan and looks up. They have a full gaze established. Emotion labels start to emerge in her mind. Devotion, compassion, kindness.

Ami: "Yes, I like everyone here and even generally."

The alLan goes back his seat and says: "Ok, you two run diagnostics and send me the logs. Here is a link to apply to regional assessor for limited testing. You will use my ID as prime assessor. Your application will take a few minutes to cycle, but you can start your test forms, be sure to include my ID.

Ami – you are familiar with swap forms since you are from Wroug. You cannot swap because of your gift to the Lan. Do you think having us swap during tests would a problem even if we swapped to an octokind alien? <<a confused, but intrigued smile from Ami is all the answer he needs>>

How about you two, any objection to that alien type? <<again, not much but smiles, and he continues>>

OK, so they have approved you to become assessors in a limited context. Please start those forms."

As they prepare forms, the alLan reviews the systems diagnostics from the elLans. The youngest has basic systems and quite new (expected), the older elLan has most every system. None have any branding. They are not new, but in perfect condition. Top quality.

alLan: "I can make the local processing faster if you two let me supply the descriptions."

Both elLans shake their heads "no". He sees that "second" has his gaze, so he marks positively the subordinate score for her in [integrity] and [situational awareness]. He looks to "first" whose gaze is downward, then looks back to "second". "Second" gives frown in reply. He marks "first" for [integrity] but not situational awareness.

Ami appears amused or intrigued by all the quick activity.

alLan: "Ami, there is a room next to this with test level recording systems, so scoring can be done in away to permit external validation. We would like go to that room soon. Do you have any questions?"

Ami: "Octokind.. uhm.. aren't those transformational replication beings? They touch you and you might become one?"

alLan: "Yes, except here they are covered in protection fields, like most Lan are. This is a rare arrangement for a plane that is not a mirror. I personally think it is just a way for Octokind officials to annoy or motivate younger octokind. It gives a specific scoring advantage in this assessment."

"second": "Here are my therapy results that were collected with Ami."

alLan: "Yes, good. I recall seeing that there was some evaluation. Yes, much as expected. Hmm. Ami? How many Lans do you think you could individually recognize?"

Ami: "About 120. Co-workers, the first assessor, 'first', 'second', the 107 therapists, and you."

alLan: "Any questions on forms? Submit for pre-testing, so I can enable your status in this test. OK, it is all set. Ami are you ready?"

They stand to go to the room across the hall. As they leave, "first" grabs the alLan's jacket and says: "Detecting situational awareness has its own limitations."

The alLan scores her for [situational awareness] and is quite impressed that someone so young had them misled.

They all enter the testing room.