Case File: Arlow Leaves Earth #5

Though the Lan Space aliens always look dispassionate, the difference was more than stark.

Lans on earth were always vigilant in demeanor, but with a faraway expression.

When Arlow walked out of the curtained privacy space, their expressions were clear. Quizical.

Two male and two female (alLans and elLans).

They directed the whole of their attention onto Arlow. It made him unsteady, but a head nod and weak whisper 'yes'.

They circled him quickly in a four-square link of arms.

Unlike anything they had prepared Arlow for. On Earth, Lan transport was like a magic blink. One place, and then in a flash everything was different. Because you were somewhere different.

This was like stepping onto an express elevator in a super tall tower. Arlow was in a sphere of energy.

Energy that was rushing across hundreds or thousands of realities.

Arlow was careening across the multiverse in a wisp of an energy sphere.

When they arrived at the new location, all five took a deep breath.

One of the elLans explained that Arlow would have to walk to the Mages Institute of Learning.

Some years ago the Lan rushed off the plane of existence they and Arlow shared, to give aid here. To help prevent loss of life. Something that the Lan had unintentionally aided.

The mages accepted the creed of the Lans to always rescue when they can.

They said that 70 trillion Lans might unsettle local peace treaties, so the Lan may not visit the Learning Institute.

Arlow would have to walk up the rocky path on his own.

When Arlow moved in to hug the elLan, all four moved to hug.

Hugging him and each other. They stood together as Arlow walked up the path.

When he had taken a few steps, he heard a 'tpunk' sound.

He stopped and looked back, then focused on walking up a well-worn hard rock footpath.