Chapter 15: Tassy's Day as a Waitress

𝗧𝗮𝘀𝘀𝘆

On entering the back room of the restaurant, I spot Sandy coming by and I wave at him. He has trained me for a couple of days and my work schedule is on now.

I'm a bit fidgety and I fiddle with my new apron and name tag.

I then march towards the dining room and check the area for customers who seem to need any help.

Someone is looking around for help. I take this opportunity to glide across the floor and reach the table carefully.

"Hi, I'm Tassy. May I help you?"

"Yes. Could you bring me a glass of water, please?"

"Would you like tap or bottled water?"

"Tap water, please."

"Right away, ma'am!"

I went to the kitchen and grab hold of a water pitcher and go back to the front house. I gently pour the water in her glass without a spill, and ask, "Do you need anything else, mam?"

"Well, I have ordered a salad. I think they'll bring it anytime soon."

"Thank you, ma'am."

Then, I take orders from a couple of customers. One have ordered Spicy Chicken Wings while the other a BBQ Shrimp.

The manager has been keeping an eye on me, and he has appreciated me when I was doing a great job. In fact, he is happy that I have stuck to the rules of service etiquette.

"Well done, Tassy! You are a fast-learner." Sandy says.

"Thank you, Sandy."

"By the way, my friend Ben and I are going to start a new business. Would you like to be a part of it?"

"What? Me! Why?"

"Because I know you are tactful in handling people, and you were a great fund-raiser when hurricane Katrina hit our city."

"So?"

"So, you will serve our purpose. I agree it's too fast to ask your help in a big venture like this. But, I'm pretty sure you are cut out for this project."

"Well, I have to think about it." She dilly-dallies.

"Take your own time. I believe you give me a favourable reply."

Well, I didn't expect that!

Why am I still standing here? Am I going to work off-the-clock. No-way. I'm exhausted as hell.