Chapter 25: Tassy's Escape

𝗦𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘆

Removing the kegs, I take up my student pilot uniform from the cloth line. When I walk into my home from the back yard, I see my dad coming towards me and say, "Attaboy," and pat my back.

He seems to be in high spirits today. May be because he cooked broccoli on his own. It's been roasted badly and still he likes to eat it. Yuck!

I shake my head and head towards my room. I fold up my dress and put it in my closet.

I'm a bit wary of reversion clause. Edwin, Hoffman's Secretary has warned me that the hangar may revert back to the airport if it is used for non-aeronautical purpose or the land lease is unpaid. But, I'm confident that such things won't happen.

The hangar design parameter values should be pre-informed to airport authorities so that they know that the hangar does not interfere with air traffic in any ways.

I open my laptop and have started to send a formal letter regarding my hangar built-out plans to the airport manager. I have requested for a meeting in person so that everything can be explained elaborately.

Suddenly, my phone rings with Tassy's name on its screen. When I pick it up, she is gasping and panting for breath.

"Someone seems to follow me.... I'm walking towards a bus stop... It's somewhere near our restaurant... Will you pick me up?"

"Why are you there at an unearthly hour like this?"

"I....I'm in a rotational shift.." She is trying to catch her breath.

"Ok....I'll be there right away," I hang up the phone.

I hurry down taking two steps at a time and reach my garage.

Unlocking the car, I swiftly start the engine and begin to drive. My heart races rapidly thinking of what would have happened to her. My apprehension mounts at every passing second. Finally, I stop at the place where Tassy told me.

When I step out, I see a gang following her. She is literally running away from them. Immediately, I spring into action. I whacked the first one behind her on his head. I give a fistful of blows to others following him. Everybody groans with pain and spreads out and escapes.

I turn back to Tassy and ask,

"Is everything ok?"

She bents her arm and I see her elbow grazed.

"Did you fall down?" I ask her reaching her.

"I was in a rush to escape from them when I tripped over something and fell down." She says feebly.

"Dang those crackheads."

I, then add, "Ok! You just get in my car. You may stay at my home for tonight."

"It's ok. You may drop me at my apartment."

"Are you kidding me? Did you eat anything?"

"Yes, just now I had a cup of coffee."

"What? Just a coffee. C'mon Tassy. Come to my home. My mom would have stowed something in the fridge. She wants to meet you too."

"No, I don't want to make a fuss at your home. Your family would be sleeping there. I don't want to wake them up."

"Please..." I clasp my hands together and beg her.

"Ok. I'll come to your place." She smiles at me.