Chapter 56: The Pitch Competition

𝗦𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘆

When I was a kid, I used to go to my dad's office whenever my mom goes out for shopping. Through the glass doors, I could see my dad talking, and he would use different gestures to interact with people in the conference room.

I know that getting people's attention is not an easy task. From schools to offices, people tend to ignore others if not the speaker is charismatic. And, my dad has inculcated the manners of a public speaker in me.

The first day of the entrepreneur week starts off with keynote speakers and pitch competitions for women entrepreneurs. The next day, the event celebrates the small businesses on New Orleans' "Black Main Street": Claiborne Ave.

The following day is set off with a buoyant kickoff party. One of the music clans of the society, pitches in and do their part in enhancing the party mood of the gatherers.

"Hi, I'm Robert" one guy with a finicky attitude for dressing sense greets me.

"Hi, I'm Sandy," I reply.

"Are you a first-timer attending this event?" he asks.

"Yes, how do you know?"

"I guessed it as you seem to be younger?"

"Yeah... I'm a student of Peter's Aviation Academy."

"Are you here to get some exposure or for something you bound to do in future?" he is fond of my business here.

"Um... I've planned to set up an aircraft hangar in two years..." I trail off.

"That's great." he takes a sip of his drink in hand.

"I hope I'll win a prize money in the pitch competition held here, so that I can startup a company of my own," I try to describe him.

"Well, that's a good idea. People of your age wouldn't have such a big dream like yours." he bobs his head.

"Thank you... By the way, may I know your business here?"

"Well, I'm a spare parts owner of Harrison Auto, Inc. I'd liked to have a distraction for a longer time. So I seized this opportunity," he gestures with his hand. He, then, adds,

"Why do you think chaps are into meeting their dates and all. Because I've a son named Archie, and he isn't like you. He spends his spare time with his date, instead of doing something useful," he shakes his head disapprovingly.

Obviously, he is at loggerheads with his son.

"Perhaps, he needs a distraction like you too?" On hearing my reply, he laughs and I join him.

Later, I meet a plenty of people, and I keep my fingers crossed that I would bag the prize money.

When the day for the pitch competition arrives, I'm geared up for the event with my slides. I feel a little nervous since I don't have a customer base and a service portal for my hangar project. Still, I'm confident that it would attract my peers and juries.

Hopeful of winning, I've started to present my business project.

"Hi, everyone. First of all, thank you for giving me this opportunity to pitch my venture project here. I'm glad I've been short-listed for this competition. New Orleans is now a fast-pacing city with over 10 million people visiting the Big Easy annually. There are 17 private jets within every 50 mile radius. What if these planes don't have sufficient resources to be taken care of? New Orleans have a humid subtropical climate which means we have long summers and short winters. Irrespective of climate, any aircraft needs its own shelter like we humans have. And so, I've planned to built up a hangar for over 10 aircrafts, so that it can house them on demand."

When I'm almost done with my presentation, everybody applauds me with claps and I instantly feel like achieving my big dream. I give way for other presenters, and I come to know that my project is a one-of-a-kind endeavor.

No other peer has a clear view of what and when to achieve his/her goals. Some even stuttered in areas of some business estimates and some even didn't sketch out what their reach would be in the near future. I have rendered crystal clear details about my business plans.