Chapter 40: Ben's Problem

𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗻𝘆

James makes a sigh when I'm making haphazard mess of his paintings in hand. He is a good painter, and though I have no taste for paintings I appreciate him. By the stroke of a brush, he draws something and creates a masterpiece. He showcases his paintings in an art gallery and comes out with big bucks. I don't know who is the blockhead to dole out a large sum for a piece of shit like this.

Henry, our boss, waves at us. He dismisses the person whom he is talking to and saunters towards us.

"Hi, don't you get the wake-up call that your break time is over?" He scoffs.

"Yes, boss. We are just about to leave the breakroom." James explains.

"Um... Ben, I would like to talk to you for a minute."

"Yes, Sir. Sure." What the hell?

"You seem to be working hard. Why don't you get to the counseling session for a while?" He suggests.

"Ok, Sir." I don't have any idea what's going on.

When I step into the counselling room, Mrs. Rose is scrolling through the pages of something important. She squints at her laptop to read through her glasses.

"Excuse me!" I open the door.

"Yup! Benny! How are you?" She asks.

"I'm fine."

"But the reports say that you are slacking off a little bit. And, your performance is just above average."

"Mmm... Well, I don't think I slack off." I disagree.

She shows me a couple of surveillance footage, and asks me to give it a shot.

I was unscrewing something whereas my looks are fixed somewhere. I can't believe I moan my girlfriend's name "Katie".

I don't know what to say.

"You were not focused on work and repeating the name often. Is there anything I can help you with?" She questions.

"No, ma'am. It's just fine. I make sure nothing happens like this again." I apologise.

....

I go to Sandy's house and ring the doorbell. His mom, Helen opens the door for me and step aside for me to get in. I see Sandy watching the same old show.

"Ain't you bored of watching this often?" I scorn as I sit down.

"What's your problem?" Sandy is annoyed by my remark.

"Well, I don't have any problem. I'm an easygoing guy. I don't mind problems on my way." I bring my arms behind my head.

"Which means you have a problem." He points me with his tv remote. I quickly grab it.

"Sandy, you are a shrink. You are right. I can't believe I take up a counseling session today for slacking off at work." I whine.

"Mmm...You? Meeting a counselor? Sounds miserable."

He snatches the remote from me and zaps through channels and end up in Young & Hungry show. It's a nice sitcom showing a love struggle between a couple. It explains how love is delightful as well as exasperating at the same time. I cry inside.

"Mmm... If only I were Josh I would have proposed to Gabi at first sight." I speak abruptly.

I tell this relating me to Katie which Sandy misunderstands.

"I'll call up Katie and tell what you just said now." He warns me.

"You creep! I was referring to Katie. And, you are a spoilsport."

"Mmm... How is it so?"

"The party you arranged for Tassy has made Katie to not speak with me for a week. How awful!"

"Easy, bro! We may find a way to get you both talk together," He pats my knee.

"Yeah... She talked to me this morning... " I say and Sandy is taken aback.

"Then, what's your problem?" He asks.

"She just called me for asking who Nancy is. When I didn't give her a valid reason, she cut the call." I whine again.

"Oh! Who is Nancy?" He asks me deliberately.

"You, dimwit!" I smack his back.