Chapter 21: A Plan for a Movie Night

𝗧𝗮𝘀𝘀𝘆

Everything goes on well with my waitress job. There's no subtle change in the way I'm treated with dignity. Everybody cares about me and has created an amicable ambience in the restaurant.

Once I was about to fall down with my orders in hand, Sandy jumped into action and gripped me by his hand. He has caught my fancy in helping me in doing place settings, refilling drinks, bus tables, and so on. I always look forward to work with him.

Today is Friday and I'm glad I have to get off work in an hour.

When I cross over the counter to enter the back room, my colleagues seem to be perked up talking about something. Sandy looks back over his shoulder and smiles at me. I smile back and grab my water bottle. Sandy steps towards me and say,

"We are going out for a movie night tonight. Would you like to join us?"

"Well, I have homework to do.." I hesitate.

"C'mon, Tassy. I suppose you haven't gone out for a long time. Let's have fun. Come with us!"

"Well, where are you going?"

"We are going over the High Rise to a drive-in theatre in Elysian Fields Avenue. Mmm...Just takes half-an-hour to reach there provided there's no jam enroute."

"Ok, then....I'll come." I open my bottle and take a sip.

"Great!" he is quite excited.

"Ok... I'll make it to your place sharply at 4:30. You good at it?"

"Yes... I'm ok with that."

Today, I take a bus to go to my flat. Strolling up the streets, I climb up the stairs when I get to my apartment. I unlock my flat door and step in.

As soon as I enter, I catch a glimpse of Amanda catnapping. I think she might have worn out after her classes at college. Washing my face, I enter the kitchen for any leftover lunch in fridge. I grab a sandwich and start chewing it.

Amanda has started to toss and turn, a sign she's going to wake up. She opens her eyes, and sees me sitting on the couch across her. "Hey", she says.

She then asks, "How was your work today?"

"Yep. It was good."

I then add, "Today evening I'm going out to watch a movie with my colleagues."

She cuts in and asks, "Wait....wait... You are going out with him?"

"Oh god! Here's the girl with a lot of fantasies. I can hardly bear her." I cry out lifting my head up.

"Bear what? Gee, are you pregnant?"

"Cut it out, you messy-haired dumbhead!"

"Ok! Easy girl! Pregnant women sometimes throw tantrums" She comes near me and gently rubs my hair hugging me.

"Oh! For god's sake. Will you shut up for a minute? I'm not going out on a date or I'm pregnant. I'm just hanging out with my friends."

"Ok!" She pouts.

I immediately laugh as she makes a goo-goo face.

"You witch!" I say to her and throw a piece of my sandwich bun on her. She opens her mouth to catch it, but it falls onto the floor.