14- Misconception

"Um, okay sir." I stammered.

He smiled at me and gave me the drink he had in his hand. "This way..."

We walked through an empty corridor. I wondered why Jimin called me at this hour. Was something wrong? Probably not. Maybe he just wanted to talk. He did tell me that he'd call later. I wanted to get back to him. I wished Dae Hyun would finish his conversation fast.

"I just.... wanted to... I'm sorry." He suddenly turned to look at me.

"Huh?" I could imagine my face being contorted with all sorts of emotions.

"I'm sorry for earlier. I have had a crush on you for long and after going on the date, I thought we'd be able to get together finally. I was on cloud nine until you suddenly said out of nowhere that you got a boyfriend." He looked down. "I was shocked and kinda heartbroken. That doesn't justify my behavior earlier towards you. But, I'm sorry."

I knew he wasn't bad.

"Apology accepted. How about we start off again on good terms?" I asked.

It was good to know your seniors anyways. I could do with some help..... and a good friend if possible.

"Thanks. I'll make up for it. Allow me to take you out for dinner or lunch someday." He smiled.

"I can't say no to free food. So, sure." I laughed.

"So how's your shift going?"

We spoke for a while. He was a fun person to talk to, I won't lie.

While we were talking, both our phones rang. We both took our phones out and then looked at each other. An ambulance pulled into the driveway of the hospital.

An accident.

You wouldn't have space to set foot in the hospital during emergencies. Surgeries and treatment back to back was the routine. Food? Rest?

Yeah you got it right. Bye bye. Both of us ran towards the ER. The first patient came in and Dae Hyun ran towards him.

I ran towards another stretcher and stopped in my steps. The man had his arms and legs twisted in such a horrible way and the blood, it was pouring onto the floor like a tap turned on. I stepped forward and took him to the hybrid room.

The sounds of the ambulances pouring in was deafening, the screaming of the doctors and nurses on top of that, the relatives of the patients grieving, all this was driving me insane. Not the first time I had been through a situation like that. But it took a huge toll on my emotions and mental health.

The people who came in were all in such bad conditions that it physically hurt to look at them. They must be in so much pain. Treating patients and doing surgeries wasn't hard. I tuned all emotions out of my body. But later when I think of the things that I had seen, all those emotions rush in, making me feel so bad.

I shook my thoughts away and got to work.
__________________________

I was on top on the bed on my knees performing CPR.

"Checking for the pulse." I stopped and put my fingers on his neck. There wasn't any pulse. Again. It was the second time. I was so out of energy.

"Move over." I turned around and saw Dae Hyun. He pulled me away from the bed by my arms." I'll take over." He informed us and got up on the bed continuing the CPR.

I told the nurses to get the defibrillator ready. Just in case.

"ROSC." Dae hyun said and sighed. The pulse had returned.