PIMPING 2: 31

Jessica Patterson

I sat in class barely keeping up with my notes. I'm so nervous, today after school I have a interview at a diner.

"Who can tell me what 'x' is in this equation?" Miss James asked and everybody just look at her. "Guys come on finals are coming up soon you have to know this." She said as she turned back to the broad to explain the problem.

*****
It was finally the end of the day and it couldn't come fast enough.

"Now Jess I'm trusting you with my baby please be careful and good luck." Keshia said as she passed me the keys to her Honda.

"I promise you Ke, I'll be extra careful and I won't make any other stops." I said.

"Okay, I'm taking your word. I should be home by ten if not well than you know me and Jay had a good time." She smirked.

"You nasty and you better make him wrap up." I said as I got in the car.

"Aye don't worry about me." She said winking at me before she walked away to go meet with Jaden.

*****
I sat at the booth at the diner as my leg shook uncontrollably. This was my first interview and it would be my first job.

"Jessica." A middle aged brown skinned woman said walking up to me with her hand out.

I shook it. "Yes and you must be miss Lisa." I said and she smiled.

"Yes I am young lady but you can just call me Lisa. Now Jessica the job is yours as long as you're on time, respectful, and honest." Lisa said.

"I believe I am all those things Lisa." I said smiling,

"Great you can start tomorrow, but first let me show you around and get you a uniform." She said as we got up and she showed me where everything was. "Now most shifts you work, you will serve with Jayla. Jayla this is Jessica." She said introducing us to each other.

Jayla turned around and I felt the smile leave my face. It was the same Jayla, Tyrone messed around with.

"Hey Jessica." She smiling waving at me.

I mentally rolled my eyes as I waved back. "Thank you Lisa for showing me around but I have to go, I'll see you tomorrow after school." I said before leaving out.

As soon as I got in the car I pulled out my phone to call Des.

"Hey, hey." She said answering the phone.

"Girl guess who I work with?" I said .

"Now Jess you know I'm bad a guessing, who da person." Des said and I laughed because she was terrible at guessing.

"Jayla." I said and I heard her choking. "Des, you okay?"

"Please tell me you lying, never do that hoe work with you."

"I wish I was Des, now I don't know if I even want to work here." I sighed.

"Jess don't let that girl get to you, that's what she probably wants and if she gets smart just slap her ass like you did last time." Destiny suggested.

I laughed. "You're right Des, about not letting her get to me not the slapping her part. But I gotta go so I can give Keshia her car back." I said before hanging up.

"I just hope tomorrow is a good day." I said starting the car and pulling off.

******
I entered the house and noticed it was very quiet, I knew Keshia was still gone and Auntie Kels was still at work. I put Keshia's keys in her room then went to mines so I could start on homework.

I put my bag down on my bed when I heard my phone ringing. I saw it was my mother calling from prison. I was debating on if I should answer, I was still upset that she left me and hasn't tried to contact me in months.

I sighed before answering the call.

"You have a collect call from inmate—Monica— to accept the charges press one." The computer said.

I pressed one and waited in silence to hear my mom speak.

"Jessie." She said.

"Yes."

"I've been trying to reach you, every time I wrote a letter, I couldn't bring myself to send it and every time I wanted to call I didn't. I know you hate me." She cried into the phone.

"I-I don't hate you mama."

"Yes you do, you're mad that I left you."

"Yes I am mad but I don't hate you mama, I love you and miss you."

Her crying calmed down. "I love you too baby, h-how are you doing. Kelly told me you doing good in school and that you got a boyfriend."

I playfully rolled my eyes and smirked. I can't believe she's been talking to auntie Kels but not me. And how come auntie Kels hasn't told me they've been talking.

"Yeah I do have a boyfriend his name is Tyrone, we've been together for 7 months."

"One minute remaining." The computer said.

"Oh Jessie just promise me one thing before it hangs up. Promise me you let a man put his hands on you and you won't follow my in footsteps. You've got a good head on your shoulders keep it tight. And never let love blind you."

I could feel tears running down my cheeks as I listened to my mama.

"I-I promise." I said before the call ended.