- Part 2

My chest was still feeling shaken up for some reason. I left the toilets and walked back to class, returning two minutes late.

As I interrupted Chabashira-sensei with my entrance, I apologised for my tardiness and went to my seat, waiting for the roll call to be finished. There was only one student away today, Kita. I've never seen her in class since the war.

Chabashira-sensei moved onto the main topic of the homeroom. It was something that lingered in the back of our minds, but we didn't realise it was coming so soon after the truth of the school came to light.

"On the week of the 15th, all of you will be participating in the first midterms."

Before, it was very likely our class would start whining and complaining over this announcement. However, we all held back and listened in carefully as part of our strategy to improve our class points.

"There will be fourteen exams in total, meaning you'll be taking two each day. One in the morning, and one in the afternoon. You will receive your exam timetable on the 12th. I suggest you use these two weeks to properly revise and listen to your teachers in class."

Chabashira-sensei's crossed her arms as she talked to us robotically. I think she was impressed that we became more obedient after losing all of our class points.

"The midterms will be on your core five subjects and Vanguard. At the end of the midterms, we will be handing out report cards with your grades on it, and at the end of the month, the school will declassify everyone's grades so they will become public knowledge."

The students who weren't very academic, like Mitsuba and Tadokoro, squirmed in their seats. The idea of having their grades being exposed to other people must've been terrifying.

It was ruthless and merciless of the school to do this, but it made sense in conjunction of the system. By showing E Class's abysmal scores, it gives the other students confidence and a reason to talk down on us.

"To pass the exams, you must get a grade of D or above. Getting a grade of E and lower are considered failures. Of course, what you get on the midterms will also affect the S System, both individually and as a class."

Chabashira-sensei had handed us a massive hint towards this midterm. These weren't throw away practice exams for the finals, these had the potential to affect our lives and future at this school. Perhaps this was enough to motivate some of the lazier students, or the students that wanted to get out of E Class as soon as possible.

However, she didn't dispose of the exact details, just a vague promise that if we did well, we could be promoted. There was bound to be a catch here, just like in April. I'd imagine there'd be some experimentation by the students to try and figure out how the S System works too.

"Are there any questions?"

It was a short, brief explanation. It was obvious she had omitted some information, and left it up to us to try and extract that from her. However, we needed to obtain through questioning.

Matsushita, essentially being the leader of E Class, put his hand up first.

"Chabashira-sensei, could you please explain how grading works?"

Even though Matsushita looked unsure that this would be successful, Chabashira-sensei nodded and turned to the whiteboard, writing down the six subjects we were going to take. History, Japanese, mathematics, science, English, and Vanguard.

"Each midterm has a different amount of full marks you can score. The grades are determined by the percentage of marks you score from the full marks."