SS Chabashira Shizuka: Conversation with the Headmaster

At the end of the month, the headmaster, Satsubatsu Kirigaya, was holding his usual interviews with the teachers, to check on how each class is progressing. On the very last day of May, it was my turn. Of course, being the homeroom teacher of the 1st Year E Class, I was the last teacher to be interrogated.

I knocked on the headmaster's door gently. Today was more hectic and stressful than usual, but I managed to get by somehow. Thankfully, I managed to finish up on the student and class reports. Pouring over all that information gives me a headache sometimes.

"Come in."

I opened the door, and entered the room. Directly across me was the headmaster, sitting at his desk with a smile across his face. His office was strangely atmospheric, with the sunset casting an orange light into the dark room. Closing the door behind me, I bowed in his presence.

"Excuse the intrusion."

I sat down in front of him. He extended a hand, and I shook it.

"Good afternoon, Shizuka-san."

"Good afternoon, headmaster. Are you doing well?"

Since we've known each other since the school started, which is nearly a decade, I gave him permission to use my first name. However, due to formalities, I still refer to him as the headmaster.

"Naturally, yes. This year of students are shaping up to be quite an interesting bunch, aren't they?"

"Yes, they are."

"Oh, that reminds me."

The Headmaster went over to his mini-fridge, opened it, and took out two cans of beer. He placed one in front of me, and cracked opened his own one. I stared at the beer's label. It was an expensive import from Germany.

"Well, don't be shy. I know you like alcohol."

"Yes, but... this one is a bit too extravagant, isn't it?"

"It's a fitting celebration drink."

"What even is there to celebrate?"

I picked up the can and read all over. I couldn't understand a word that was printed on there.

"This year's E Class is one thing to celebrate about."

I raised an eyebrow. My class this year was worth celebrating? They were just like any other E Class I've had before.

"Besides that, you're a hard working sensei. Please, just drink it. It must be stressful taking care of the defective class for now the seventh year in a row. I don't think any other sensei has had to endure that."

That was true. I was unlucky enough to take care of E Class longer than anyone else at this school. Still though, if this is a reward for putting up with E Class, I don't want it.

Quite frankly, it was more difficult seeing those students suffer than it was to teach them.

"This seems like a bad idea, Satsubatsu-sama—"

"Kirigaya is fine, Shizuka-san. Formalities aren't necessary in a casual place like my office."

I wouldn't particularly call his office a casual place... well, we were colleagues at least, so at the very least I can honour his request.

"My apologies. It just seems more fitting to talk to you as a superior."

"Well, I'm your superior in one more ways than one."

Kirigaya chuckled, taking a sip of his beer.

"You know that I drive home, right? I wouldn't want to be driving while drunk."