Omake: Character Decks

Chabashira-sensei: Welcome to my extra lesson on the analysis of other character's Vanguard decks. I'm Chabashira Shizuka, your class teacher, and it's a pleasure to meet you. I'll be presenting the decks used in this volume, and give my commentary on them. Deck statistics are also included, graded from E- to A+. An explanation for each category is provided below.

Consistency: Refers to drawing, searching, deck thinning, etc. Anything to increase getting into your win condition more often.
Power: Refers to power, critical, number of attacks, etc. Anything to attack the opponent with an increased edge in battle.
Recovery: Refers to resource management, recycling cards, levelling the playing field after falling behind, etc. Anything to close the gap between you and your opponent if you are losing.
Protection: Refers to shield, retiring, binding, etc. Anything to protect yourself from your opponent through various means of disruption.
Versatility: Refers to the various lines of play the deck can make, what different strategies it can utilise, how it deals in niche situations, etc. Anything that the deck can do in any number of given situations, and how well it can adapt to it.

The codes next to the deck name refer to the set they come from. V-CD stands for V Character Deck. V-LD stands for V Legend Deck. V-BD stands for V Booster Set (i.e built from the set).

V-BD07: The STEAM ENGINE "Yukimura Fudou"
Imaginary Gift: Force I

Grade 0
1x Primordial Dracokid (Starter)
4x Steam Bomber, Digul (Critical)
4x Ring Ring Worker (Critical)
4x Roly-poly Worker (Draw)
4x Steam Doctor, Mar-tash (Heal)

Grade 1
4x Steam Fighter, Memenne
4x Steam Scara, Kalain
4x Quicky Quicky Worker

Chabashira-sensei: Yukimura-san doesn't use any sentinels, which weakens his defence by a wide margin. Even a basic grade 1 perfect guard would be preferable over no sentinels, as nullifying attacks can stop powerful attacks with only two cards.

Grade 2
4x Steam Fighter, Ahne
4x Steam Hunter, Lippitt
4x Missing-clamp Dragon
4x Gun-bezel Dragon

Chabashira-sensei: The main focus of Yukimura-san's deck is to get Ahne's re-ride ability off, which is why he uses 4 of each core piece, Ahne, Memenne and Zerix, his avatar. Ahne offers both the superior ride and sniping of rear-guards, while Memenne spreads power and filters the hand.

Grade 3
4x Steam Expert, Zerix (Avatar)
1x Escrude Dragon

Chabashira-sensei: His avatar, Zerix, doesn't have a Force gift, which means he cannot use Ahne's skill to amass multiple gifts in a turn, which is a popular strategy for many decks. Rather, his skill gives Zerix a pseudo-Force marker until end of turn, which is a lot less valuable. Escrude Dragon was a gift he received from Mitsuba-san as his deck was lacking a card, and is ironically the better grade 3 target to ride due to having a Force gift and skill to spin a rear-guard and draw a card. However, at only one copy, it's unlikely to be drawn before the grade 3 ride.

Consistency: E
Power: E+
Recovery: E-
Protection: E-
Versatility: E-
(8)

Chabashira-sensei: Yukimura-san's novice and disinterest for the game really shows in his deck build. All the cards, except Escrude Dragon, are common, which indicates the quality of the cards are bad. While the focus of the deck is around powering his vanguard, the cards that are included have poor synergy. The gimmicky re-riding has little benefits, and most of his cards barely function together. A large overhaul is necessary for this deck.

V-BD08: PRIDE of the Dancing Lion "Kawaguchi Masaru"
Imaginary Gift: Accel II

Grade 0
1x Crimson Lion Cub, Kyrph (Starter)
3x Flame of Victory (Critical)
3x Knight of Blue Skies, Shanak (Critical)
2x Knight of Forceful Fight, Nalnes (Front)
4x Elixir Sommelier (Heal)