Chapter 4: The Physics of A Class (Yamamoto Yami)

I sat in Rina's Restaurant, looking over the flash cards I prepared during the weekend. Kondou was sitting next to me, looking bored out of her mind, as she had already finished her sweets and drink. I felt bad for her, because I was the one who dragged her out of her apartment so she could tutor Shimada.

Shimada's... really late though. We said to meet at 4pm, but it's now been nearly half an hour. Waiting around for him made Kondou irritated, as she had nothing else to do. Though, some sunlight would do her good. Her skin's pale, like a vampire. Guess I can't judge, since Yumi also says I need to go out more...

In the first place, it was Yumi's idea to get Kondou to tutor him. She arranged a meeting for them and everything, but since she had an emergency today, I got forced to be her stand-in. Being the older twin sucks sometimes. Besides, it's Shimada's responsibility to learn the material. At the rate he's doing, he's going to drop out of A Class.

Though, it could be a good thing... shedding off the dead weight.

"Hey, sorry I'm late."

Shimada strolled over to our booth nonchalantly. Plopping down his messenger bag, he threw out three exams on our table. One mock exam for biology, chemistry and physics he received from Ike-sensei, so we can gauge how he is in these areas.

His biology score was 7/100. His chemistry score was 6/100. His physics score was 4/100.

What an appalling attempt. It was embarrassing he was in A Class. I'm sure even an E Class student could score higher if they tried. There was nothing Shimada had going for him. While everyone was excelling, he always lagged behind.

He doesn't even wear the uniform properly. He uses a black shirt and doesn't put on his tie. It's disgraceful.

"I really tried too." Shimada said in his characteristic tired voice. Did he really care this little about his score?

I wish he got sent to E Class. That's where he belongs. In the dumps with the rest of them. Kondou exhaled loudly as she stared at the scores.

"Tell your sister I'm going to kill her."

I sympathised with Kondou's frustrations. Yumi was too hopeful in other people, including Shimada. There was no way he'd turn things around in two weeks. It was better to let him sink to a lower class.

"Itsuki, don't give up faith so easily. C'mon, just tell me the answers to this test."

Shimada pushed the physics paper in front of her.

"Refrain from using my first name. I haven't given you permission."

Kondou sharply snapped back at the carefree Shimada.

"But Yami, Shuu and Hane all let me call them by their first names."

"Well, that's them. I am different."

"I don't see the difference. We're all in A Class. We might as well be friendly with each other."

Shimada had a conceited grin the entire time he talked to Kondou.

"Oh, please just shut up! You're going to drop out to E Class anyways, so what's the point in tutoring someone as stupid as you?!"

Kondou slammed her books on the table and stood up.

"Thanks for wasting my time, Yamamoto-san!"

Everyone in the restaurant turned our way hearing Kondou get so agitated over Shimada.

"And I hope you get expelled, Shimada!"

Kondou left in a fit of rage and embarrassment.

Shimada looked over his shoulder and laughed, kicking up his feet onto the table.