- Part 7

Once everyone was satisfied with their time at the pool, it was mutually decided to return home at around 3pm. Two lines had quickly formed in front of the changing rooms, and I was the last person in the male line, behind Nibiiro.

Of course, some of the people who got tired of it already went to go change before everyone else, due to the one person restriction in the changing rooms. Among them were Tanaka, Suzuki, Fujimura, Nora, Mitsuba and Katsumi. They sat around in the lobby, waiting for us.

"Takanori-san, did you have fun today?"

Strangely, Nibiiro decided to start a conversation with me. Well, he seemed like a pleasant guy, so I replied.

"Yeah. It was pretty fun."

"You say that, but you won that intense race."

Even though my impression of Nibiiro was a timid person, in actuality, he was quite charming in his own way.

"I think luck was on my side for that. Yukimura-san's an incredible athlete."

"It must've taken a lot out of you, then. Your muscles hurt?"

"Incredibly."

"I feel the same. Sports aren't usually my thing, so activities like this really take a lot out of me."

I already gauged that Nibiiro wasn't a sporty person due to his lacklustre build. Considering he was in E Class, he must've had a fatal flaw like the rest of us. However, that doesn't stop him from being potentially amazing in a certain area, much like Yukimura is with sports, or Nora is with academics.

"Are you particularly good at anything?"

"Me? I like to think I'm good at Vanguard."

That response told me a lot about his personality. It seemed he wasn't confident in himself, and preferred to use brain over brawn.

"I see. Which clan do you play?"

"Spike Brothers. I really admire their teamwork."

It was surprising to hear him play that clan. It's got an interesting play-style though, passing around Force markers like a ball. I suppose Nibiiro valued that sense of camaraderie.

"By any chance, do you know why 3rd Year E Class has 72 students in it?"

It was a shot in the dark, but maybe Nibiiro had an answer to that question. When I asked Himeji about it, he didn't have a good reason. He just informed me that the 3rd Years were messed up.

"No, sorry. It's weird, though, isn't it? You'd think there'd be more A Class students, considering the track record at this school."

"Track record?"

"Yep. I've seen some of the statistics regarding the prior years, and every year consistently had the majority of students graduate from A Class."

Hearing that line assured me that the school didn't purposefully try to fail the students unfairly. It was a thought I had when I heard that the 3rd Year E Class had that staggered number, but if the majority graduated from A Class, then getting to A Class wasn't a pipe dream after all.

"How did you find that out?"

Nibiiro laughed, scratching the back of his neck. For such an open guy earlier, he suddenly retracted when I questioned his source. I wanted to know it's credibility.

"I have... connections, let's just say."

"Can I meet them?"

"Do you want to rise to A Class?"

I wanted to reply with "absolutely", but I knew I didn't have the skill to do that. I needed proof that I could rise to A Class with my own two hands first. It wasn't the right time to make bold statements like that either. I'd rather conceal myself to a suspicious guy like Nibiiro.

"Not really."

"Intriguing. A contradictory statement, huh?"

Nibiiro laughed at my response.

"Then... a hint at least?"

"You really are a strange one..."

I didn't understand what he meant by that.

"Well, the people I know wouldn't like it if I revealed who they were. Since I'm in E Class, if it was found out they had connections to me, it'd ruin them."

Nibiiro gave a simple response that I understood. It was one of the struggles of an E Class student, after all.

"How did you end up in E Class?"

"I tripped down a flight of stairs."

He played it off as a joke, but in a metaphorical sense, I understood what he meant.

"Which class were you originally from, then?"

"You're sharp."

Instead of answering, he was impressed that I figured out the true meaning behind it.

"Sorry."

"If I told you which class, you'd think I'm lame."

That throwaway line crossed out D Class and C Class as potential candidates. To think he's lame, he must've came from an upper class, like B Class or A Class.

"I see."

Nibiiro smiled, but his eyes seemed to recognise I was starting to get a read on him. Even though it wasn't my intention, I had thoroughly investigated him and his personality through my questions.

Simply put, I don't trust Nibiiro Suzui.

It was now his turn to change. Getting his stuff from his locker, Nibiiro went into the changing room. I stared at the door blankly, waiting for my turn. Even though the boys should've changed quicker than the girls, I was the only one left outside in the locker room. The girl's line had disappeared.

As such, I hope Yukina followed through with my favour.