The Call of the Ants

"Goldy. Goldy. Goldy. Goldy. Goldy." Goldy woke up to the sound of chanting. It had to be like 3 AM. She turned over, trying to figure out who was chanting her name.

She ended up at the bottom of the tree, half asleep, following the sound of her name being repeated over and over again.

"Yes?" She asked, trying to figure out who was calling for her. The chanting continued.

After a while, she noticed some ants in a circle surrounding her.

"Yes?" Goldy asked, confused by what was going on.

"It worked!" A small voice exclaimed. There was tons of cheering.

"What worked?"

"We summoned you!" One of them explained. "We used the crystals, and stood in a circle, and chanted your name, and now you can't leave until you agree to do us a favor."

Goldy looked at the ants surrounding her. She could easily crush them, they were tiny in comparison, but she wanted to see where this was going.

"Alright, you've got me. What do you want?"

If Goldy could see the face of the ant that had spoken to her, she would see that this ant, the leader of the group, was shifting his weight, a large smile on his face as nervous excitement took over his small ant body. "We demand you bring us 10 whole chocolate chip cookies!" The ant exclaimed. "It will keep us fed for over a whole month!"

Goldy blinked. 10 cookies? That was easy enough. She basically had infinite cookies thanks to Cookie's cookie jar at Daycare.

"Alright. I'll get you 10 cookies..." Goldy went back up her tree, grabbed 10 cookies, and returned.

"Here you go." The confused girl set the cookies down in the center of the circle of ants. More cheering was heard. The girl shook her head. "I'm gonna go now..."

"Thank you, The Great Goldy." The leader bowed.

"Thank you, Great Goldy!" The other ants followed their leader's example.

"Uhh, yeah, sure. Please don't call me in the middle of the night again." Goldy headed back up her tree, where she got a glass of water, went to the bathroom, and then went back to bed.

She shut her eyes, convinced that this was all just a really weird dream.

When she woke up in the morning, the ants were gone, the cookies were gone, but the memory stayed, forever etched in her brain as one of the weirdest nights of her life.

I saw a thing that was like "If humans can summon Cthulhu, a deity that is so high above them, why can't ants summon humans?" And the response was "That's why pronunciation is so important. You try ignoring hundreds of ants chanting your name in the middle of the night." So I made it happen. I hope you enjoyed!