Chapter 1: Hello California.

Penny-

I hear The Mamas & The Papas ringing in the background as I wipe my tears away, trying my best to not let my mother and father notice my tear stained face. I squeeze my necklace in the palm of my hand. The spikes of its sun charm poke my fingers.

My fingers are red and worn down by the constant playing of my string bass. A light smile appears on my face as I think of my music teacher in New York. Oh how I miss him so much. Mr. Diddle, such a kind man. My best friend I could say. Some people worry that our closeness is inappropriate but I have two words for them. He's gay. And I love him dearly. One of my only friends back home. And of course it's a 72 year old gay man. I think of him singing Chim Chim Chimeree to me as I pluck my double bass. I begin to whimper at the thought that I may never see his bright smile and cute wrinkles ever again.

"Penny? Are you alright?" My mother says.

"Yes mother. I just already miss Mr. Diddle and we just saw him yesterday."

"Well honey you'll be happy to know that our neighbors have many children to spend time with you! I'm sure you will make friends with them."

"Who are they?"

"We will let you see for yourself. But one of them is your age. And he's quite handsome may I say." My mother snickers and my father glares at her. My father has never enjoyed the thought of me dating a boy. Although I am 18 years old now and it's not like I'm not mature enough.

"Okay mother. How far are we from the house?"

"Not long dear. About a half hour and we can start unpacking too."

"Have our belongings already arrived at the house?"

"I believe they arrived a couple of hours ago. Or they should have." I nodded and went back to listening to Mama Cass belt her beautiful notes.

Michael-

I hum to Chim Chim Cheree and I walk along the path in my backyard. If I had a penny for every time I had walked through my yard thinking of a friend to talk with I would be rich. I lay in the grass looking to the sky thinking of how nice it would be to talk to someone right now.

"Hey Mike! Watch out!" Randy yells as he throws a pile a mulch at my face.

"Randy! You fool. Now I have dirt all up in my afro. Ouch, my eyes!!" I run inside to the sink to try to rinse my dirt ridden eyes. As I pat my eyes dry I look out the window to find a car pulling into the house nextdoor.

"Mother! Do we have new neighbors?" My mother trots to the window.

"Yes dear. It's the Scorsese family."

"That director guy?"

"Yes. I talked to them on the phone last night. They have a daughter your age Michael. You should talk to her sometime."

I continue to watch as I see a beautiful girl step out of the red car. She has brown hair, pale skin, and long legs. She looks quite simple but something stands out about her.

"Oh I will."

"Will what dear?" My mother squeaks.

"Oh, umm" I continue watching her and she walks into the house "I will talk to her."

Hello!! First chapter is done. I must say I actually really enjoyed writing this! I will update as soon as possible :)