Chapter 29: The Show

September 26, 1981

Penny-

"Jake I have to go! I can't be late." I grabbed the car keys and slipped my jacket on.

"Have fun." He walked up to me, smiling sweetly.

"Thank you baby." I kissed him on the cheek and headed to the concert which started at 8. I was so excited to see all of the boys again, especially excited to see them perform after so many years.

I drove into the parking garage and walked to the venue, my VIP ticket resting in my back pocket. There were thousands of fans waiting to be let inside as I searched for a bodyguard to help me find where I needed to go.

There was a short man in all black waiting outside of a tent, "Hey! Could you help me?" While I walked a bit closer I realized it was Bill. "Oh Bill! It's great to see you. I'm confused as to where I should go."

"Oh Penny! Just follow me." I followed him inside the tent that led to the back of the stadium, he gave me a laniard to put my ticket on so people knew I was allowed to be back there. We came to a door that had a sign above the door knob reading "knock please". To my surprise Bill didn't knock, we barged right in to see five good looking black boys in sparkly outfits.

"Penny!" They all yelled and my face lit up.

"Hey guys! I've missed you." Michael stood staring at me. "Hi Michael." I waved to him as a smile crept onto his face.

"How are you girl?" He walked towards me, holding a makeup brush.

"I'm great." I hugged him tightly. His smell once again calming my nerves.

"Well if it isn't Ms. Penny Scorsese." Randy walked up to me, he had gained some muscle since I last saw him.

"It's Mrs. Penny Garner to you Randy." Michael shoved his shoulder.

"Well you're looking great girl!" He hugged me tightly.

"Thanks Randy. How's everybody? Excited for the last show?" I sat down on a stool by Michaels mirror.

"Hell yeah. I've been exhausted!" Jackie fake yawned and slipped on his jacket.

"How've you been Penny? Everything good with Jake?" Michael asked quietly, buttoning up his red blouse.

"Yes. Everything's good." I played with my hair. "Do you have any special girl in your life Michael?" I rummaged through his makeup.

"Mm, no. But I heard you got a modeling job? I saw you in a magazine. I'm proud Penny." He quickly changed the subject.

"Thanks Stinky."

He furrowed his eyebrows "Stinky? A new nickname huh?"

"Yeah I thought Applehead got a bit old."

"Aaah, makes sense Turd." I giggled as he tickled my side, giving me a new nickname as well.

I wished them good luck as I stood backstage. They of course started with the iconic Can You Feel It, which got everybody's blood pumping. I couldn't help but sing almost as loud as Michael was while watching him. He had gotten so much better at dancing, his moves becoming more personalized. I really had no words on how to describe their performance, the energy was amazing it was like a huge party. It was strange to see them without afros but they all looked so grown up. After my favorite song This Place Hotel, came the most sad song and heart felt performance I had ever witnessed. She's Out Of My Life made me tear up, his voice just pounded through the speakers with such affection and emotion I couldn't comprehend it.

"Now I would like to introduce you to someone very important in my life. I love her dearly. She has been there for me whenever I needed her most, her advice and compassion always seeming to heal the broken hearted. So here is... drum roll please!" My eyes widened for I hoped he wouldn't say my name but of course "Penny Garner! Come on out here Penny." Bill pushes me on stage. The bright lights blinding me as the fans screamed at the top of their lungs, obviously not for me but for the boys. I gave Michael a death stare as I walked up to him, he took me in his arms. "Many of you have probably seen Penny in some magazines. But I warn you, you will be seeing her in a lot more magazines! Say hi Penny!" He held the microphone out to me, I was frozen and feeling a bit dizzy. Michael squeezed my waist ushering me to say something.

"Hi everyone." I squeaked as the audience got quiet.

"Say something more." Michael whispered in my ear.

"Erm, uhh. I love you!" I said it just how Michael always told his fans. With a bright smile and warm eyes Michael looked at me deeply. He gave me the same look he used to when we were young, it made me nervous. "Michael..." I warned him quietly as he leaned into to my lips. After many years of being without Michael, here I was on stage in front of thousands of his fans, kissing the man! I couldn't believe it. His arms wrapped around my body as I tried to pull my head away, but I couldn't deny the feeling I got from kissing him. His body getting me all sweaty.

After too many seconds of being connected, we separated, and I gasped for air. Michael had the biggest smile on his face as I whimpered to myself, I had just cheated on Jake... oh my lord. I could hear his brothers hollering in the background as the crowd screamed. "I love you!" Michael yelled into the audience, his hand in mine.

For the rest of the concert I just watched. I was beyond angry at Michael, he had some explaining to do.

"Michael what the hell!" I yelled at him as he made his way to the dressing room. A towel being dabbed on his forehead. He pointed to his throat, meaning he couldn't speak. "Oh stop. Explain! Why would you do that, Jake is gonna freak!" Michael giggled and his brothers smirked in the background, my lips in a line.

Michael took a sip of orange juice "Publicity." He squeaked before drinking the juice once more.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Can we talk in private please?" I yanked on his arm to pull him out of the room. "Michael... look-"

"Penny, I'm not lying! I know you want to be a model. So what better way than to get your name in the papers?"

"By kissing you?! That had to be the only way!" I threw my hands in the air.

"Penny I have no reason to lie to you-"

"Except you do! Michael you have a reason to lie to me and we both know it." He shook his head and crossed his arms. "Michael- I'm sorry if this hurts you but I'm married. Married! I have a husband, I can't be kissing random men."

"But I'm not random Penny. I'm Michael."

"No... Michael. I'm sorry but I don't have feelings for you! I know it's hard okay. But I found the love of my life and you should find yours." He bit his lip and looked at his feet. "Michael..." I whined.

"Penny I don't have feelings for you. It was really for your benefit, your name will be everywhere. You'll get a lot of attention from this, brands will want your face on their magazines. I'm being totally honest Penny." He looked back to me.

I huffed. "Okay. I'm sorry I got angry, but if Jake sees this... he's gonna kiiiiilll you." I smirked as Michael giggled, his smile making my worries vanish.

His fingers lined the neck of my t shirt, my heartbeat increasing. "Where's the locket?" I looked down to his hand on my chest, searching for the bump of the necklace he gave me years ago.

I placed my fingers on his, "I don't wear it as often. Jake doesn't like it."

"But I do, you should still wear it. I still keep the picture of you." His other hand searched his pocket for the picture of me I gave him before college. My hand was gripping his, still resting on my chest.

"That's nice Michael. I will wear it again." He smiled, feeling accomplished. "You guys did great tonight. I had a good time."

"I'm so happy you could come." He pulled me into his arms, hugging me tightly.

"Anything for you Stinky." My arms wrapping around his body, he gave me a kiss on my forehead. His lips leaving a stinging sensation radiate through my body.

"I love you." He whispered.