Chapter 23: The Third Year

Penny-

The clattering of Megan opening the door startled my nap. I had been working on a project all afternoon. "There's a package for you P." I rolled off of the couch and stumbled to the package on the counter. I pulled back the cardboard to reveal Michaels solo album Off The Wall. He had released it not too long ago and sent one to me. A note rested on top of the vinyl cover:

Dear Penny,

I wish I was with you now, but here is a piece of me I give to you. You inspired a lot of this album and I thank you for that. I hope you are healthy and safe. I love you. Enjoy.

                                      Michael Jackson

I ran my fingers across his bold signature. He was 20 years old now and released an album that was already doing extremely well. He looked so handsome on the cover.

"Knock, knock." Jake hummed as he waltz towards me, I shuffled to hide the note in my sweater. "Hi." He pecked me on the cheek.

A smile building on my face "Hi Jake."

"Oh cool. You got his new album?"

"Yeah I got it from a friend."

"Sweet. Let's play in right now." He grabbed it and set it up on the record player. The sound of the violin bursted through the room. The first song, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, was amazing.

My jaw dropped "This is awesome." I was so proud of him, all of his hard work and it turned out great. The sound of his voice and the giggles on the track reminded me of some of my favorite memories. Like when we would play pranks on Randy and cook with Katherine. His sweet, sweaty hugs and kisses after a rehearsal. My thoughts were interrupted when Jake grabbed my hands and danced around with me.

"This guys got some talent!" He said as I giggled while spinning around. "And now Madame," he held his hand out for me as She's Out Of My Life played "for the ballad, a dance." He sang and pulled me into his arms, rocking me back and forth. It wasn't until half way through the song I realized that this song must've been about me. I froze in Jakes arms, stiffening as a tear rolled down my cheek. "You okay baby?" Baby. I was Jakes baby now. I was out of Michaels life. Jake was here for me. He was my baby.

"Yeah I'm okay, this song is beautiful. I'm proud of him."

"Proud of him? You're acting like you now the guy." He scoffed.

I pushed myself further into Jakes chest "Just a fan."

Jake and I had been dating for just months but it was going great. We hadn't been intimate yet but I could tell he was getting antsy. And of course school was going good. I had officially decided to major in fashion design, I thought it would be best if I was planning to try and become a model after college. Jake was majoring in photography and Megan in fashion design also. This year was going great, my teachers were nice and I was getting good grades. Overall my year was going great. I had a loving boyfriend, a career plan, and a great best friend. Yet somehow I still felt something missing.

Michael-

"Is it true you hate your brothers?"
"Did you leave The Jacksons?"
"Michael look here please!"
"Is Diana Ross pregnant with your child?"
"Michael over here!"
"I love you."

The lights flashed as I was pushed and shoved through a crowd of people. I shuffled into the hotel. Ever since the album release the media has assumed I hate my family for doing something solo. The tabloids have become more aggressive, the paparazzi more persistent. I was shocked about a rumor of me getting Diana Ross pregnant. I hadn't seen her in many months and was surprised people were even curious about my love life. Which had been rather boring lately. In fact, my life had been rather boring. Everything is the same. I go somewhere and people ask the same questions. And sure I created a great album, which brought me and unbelievable amount of joy, but it was over now. The creative process was done until I had more songs come to me. I hadn't seen or talked to Penny in ages. I was extremely lonely. The most exciting thing that happened besides the album is that I got a haircut after my birthday. A haircut. I needed to make more friends, because no one seemed to be there. I needed Penny but she didn't need me.

Hi readers! I'm sorry this is so short. In fact the last couple of chapters had been short. But don't worry after this part it will get more juicy. Stay tuned I have a great plan ❤️