Chapter 19: The First Year

—————Penny's First Year Of College————

The first week for Penny was extremely difficult. Although her roommate was a wonderful person and they got along great, Penny couldn't help but feel a void in her heart. Penny began having nightmares of the last day with Michael. Instead of her even leaving it was Michael who vanished out of thin air. Her classes were going good, she tried her best to do her work without her pain interfering. The first three months were the most difficult thing to cope with. Michael and Penny were writing to each other, but the letters were arriving slower each week. Luckily Penny's roommate, Megan, had become her best friend. Penny didn't tell many people she had dated Michael Jackson, but she told Megan everything.

Penny-

"P, Michael sent a gift!" Megan yelled towards me while running my way. It was my birthday, December 12th, and Michael had sent me a gift. Megans short blonde hair bounced as she jumped to a seated position next to me in the field where many students stayed to study. "Open it! Open it!" She plopped it in my lap.

I let out a sigh and cut through the tape of the small cardboard box. There was a light red letter from Michael and a small white velvet box. The letter read:

Dear Penny,

I think about you every single day. I am so sorry I have had trouble writing letters, my brothers and I have many shows right now and it's difficult to send them. I miss you so much. I hope you made lots of friends, I would love to see them! Anyways, happy 19th birthday my love. Enjoy the bracelet, I couldn't resist getting it for you. Have a great birthday, I hope to see you sooner than later. I love you.

                                       - Michael Jackson

I set the letter down but Megan immediately started reading it, I allowed it for it wasn't too private. My fingers slid across the velvet box, and unclasped it. A diamond bracelet laid inside, I prayed they weren't real diamonds because Michael shouldn't be spending that much money on me. On the inside of the box Michael wrote "Dedicated to the one I love" after our song. A tear slid down my cheek, his words and gifts were too kind. Although each day gets a little more bearable it was still so painful. My nightmares were the same, but terrifying. And no matter what they wouldn't go away. It was reassuring getting a letter and gift from Michael, but it wasn't the same as before. This is exactly what I had feared.

"Jake get over here!" Megan waved to Jake, her good friend. He was tall, white, had ashy brown hair and bright blue eyes. He's very handsome and I could tell he was into me but I had to keep my distance.

"Hey Megan. Hi Penny." He sat down next to us, "What's up?"

"Michael sent Penny a birthday present."

"Oh sweet." He responded and looked at the bracelet I had just put on my wrist. "Damn he must be rich." I giggled at him, Jake was able to make my heart hurt a bit less but I didn't know why. He knew my situation with Michael, but he didn't know that the Michael Jackson I dated was really the Michael Jackson from The Jackson 5.

"Umm" I wiped the tear away from my cheek hiding my pain like I always did, "Michael wants to see my friends, do you guys want to take a picture of us and we can send it to him?"

"That sounds great Penny." Megan squeezed my hand, she always knew when I was hurting.

—-————— Michael's First Year ———————

Michael had spent most of his time traveling and performing shows. He hadn't settled in New York yet, he was going to finally be able to move there next year to begin working on the album. He was more quiet ever since Penny and him left each other, less happy especially. Michael didn't get any sleep and although he tried to be happy, everything was so painful. He often found himself being numb, like he just didn't care about anything as much as he had before. His brothers had noticed this and tried to set him up with other women but none of them could compare to Penny. Michael struggled to have time to send letters to Penny but he made sure to send one for her birthday.

Michael-

Bill, my security, handed me an envelope from Penny. "Thanks Bill." I grabbed it from his hands and tore it open. Although it wasn't a letter, it was a picture. There was Penny, looking more tan and a bit sad. Next to her was a beautiful blonde girl, the name Megan written under her. Then a man on the other side of Penny, named Jake. Penny had written some words on the back of the picture.

Dear Michael,

I can't express to you how much I miss you. Thank you so much for the bracelet, I hope it's not real diamonds.

I smiled, kissing her goofy self.

I have worn the necklace you gave me everyday. I miss you so much. I hope you are having a good time performing. There's not a second of my day that goes by where I'm not thinking about you.

I did make some friends, Megan and Jake. They are very nice to me. I can tell Megan and I are going to be good friends for a long time. We have the same major and she wants to be a model like me. I hope to see you soon, I love you too.

                                          - Penny S.

Although it was great to see her precious face, I didn't like her seeing it next to Jake. He was too handsome, and especially too close to her.