Chapter 22: Summer 1979

Penny-

"You ready to go P?" Megan hollered through the lounge. My bags sat next to the orange couch, my eyes focused on the tv screen ahead. 'Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, an odd couple? Or does it make sense?'

Ever since the night of the premiere, things weren't right. Our calls became less and the letters stopped being sent. We were losing each other. But I still loved him, I will always love him.

I slowly blinked and tugged on the locket. "Penny..." Megan whined as she turned the tv off. "We need to get to the apartment." Thats right, I almost forgot. Megan and I had got an apartment. It was about half way between my house and campus. It was cute, perfect for us. Jake lived in the same building, he's actually the one who recommended we get an apartment together. "Penny, I know you're hurting but-"

"Okay. Let's go." I whispered as Meg ran her fingers through my hair.

"It's going to be okay P. I'm always gonna be here for you." Her eyes glimmered as she pouted.

After we sat down the last box in the apartment we collapsed onto the floor. "Lookin good ladies!" Jake stayed as he plugged in a light blue lamp.

"Jake, help me get my dresser in my room please." We picked up my wooden dresser and shuffled down the short hallway to my white small room across from Megs. We shoved it up against the wall and I searched through the drawer for my picture with Michael. "Shit." I panicked because I couldn't find it. "Megan!" I yelled as my heart sped up, I ran towards my boxes and moved things around searching for it. "Where's the picture?!" The blood drained from my face.

"Let me look." Meg rustled through my belongings. "I don't see it P."

"Megan no. Please. Oh my gosh." Is whimpered and pulled my knees to my chest.

"Penny it's going to be okay. It probably is in my stuff or something. Lemme check." She popped open her boxes, taking out her decorations. I was squeezing my eyes shut and rocking back and forth on the floor. I felt Jakes stare through the back of my head. "HERE!" She yelled and shoved it in my face, she could sense I was vulnerable right now and didn't want me to cry in front of Jake.

"Oh my god. Thank you so much Meg." I touched the picture to my chest. 17 year old Michael and I, fresh out of his pool. His curls dripping down his face, my skinny body hanging onto his. This was the last picture I had of him and I and right now it was the last reminder of our relationship. I walked back into my room, a smile on my face, and tucked the picture in my clothes drawer.

I made sure to call my parents after we were all settled in. After the situation with father and Michael, I hadn't talked to my dad as much. But my mother and I became much more close. She understood my feelings towards Michael and how our separation was affecting us.

My room was rather small but cozy. I had a queen sized bed with a soft blue printed comforter. There was a small window looking out into the city, with potted plants surrounding it. I stuck a piece of tape on the picture of Michael and I and stuck it right beside my bed on the wall, a reminder of our love that would hopefully be revived. Although it hurt me to see his face and think of how Diana might have taken him away from me, he was too perfect to not look at.

It was the next morning, I was tying my bandana to keep my hair out of my face as Jake walked in my room. His hands crept around my waist, tugging on my white t shirt. I looked at his sculpted face through the mirror. His cold lips kissed my cheek before I turned to look into his eyes. "Penny." His hand slipped down to rest just above my bum. I quickly pulled away to sit on my bed.

"Jake no." A grabbed my pillow to set it in my lap, almost protecting me.

"What the hell Penny." He shockingly said whilst standing in front of me. "Can't you tell I like you?"

"Jake don't do this right now."

"No, let me talk. I get that you are obsessed with this Michael guy or whatever, but he's not here! I am. I am here, and I have been here. I will always be here for you."

I shook my head. "M-Michaels here for me." My heart began to pound.

"No he's not. Do you think I didn't notice how upset you were after you hung out with him? He hurt you, I don't know how. But he did, and I won't ever hurt you."

"Jake." I whine and stuffed my face in the pillow.

"Penny, be mine. Please. You can leave me when Michael comes back, but be with me for now."

When Michael comes back. Part of me knew that wouldn't happen. Michael and I weren't going to marry each other because he was going to be with Diana. I should have seen it coming too.

I looked up to Jake who was now on his knees before me. He began to lean in towards me until his lips pressed mine. It felt good I'm not going to lie. There wasn't a spark, but it was safe and I was happy with it. Jake pulled away and stared in my eyes "I will be yours Jake." I squeaked as he hugged me deeply. I felt fulfilled for now, but I felt that would go away soon and my ache for Michael would arrive again.

Michael-

"No, that's not how it is in my head. You have to wait longer at the end. Let the listener anticipate the end, keep them yearning for the end." I said to Quincy. I was working on the last song of the album, She's Out Of My Life. Ever since the premiere she hadn't been communicating and we hadn't talked in a few months honestly. I was afraid it was because of the rumors of Diana and I. It's true, she did make a move and we had made out but I wouldn't go further. It hurt too much.

I stood in front of the microphone singing the last line. I could barely get it out, the memories of Penny came flooding back. My sweet Penny. My voice cracked as I sang the last line. It was done. The song was finally finished. And so was our relationship.

"You okay smelly?"

"Yeah." I whispered as I pulled off the headphones.

"Let's listen to the track and then we can see what we think of the songs we have."

"Sounds great." I sat next to Quincy, the music began.