Chapter 30: Accident

January, 1984

Penny-

"Happy New Years!" Megan shouted, her champagne spilling as she kissed her husband. She had gotten married not too long ago, he was a wonderful man.

"Happy New Year baby." Jake rapped his arms around my waist and gave me a passionate kiss. Right outside the large window of the agencies office stood hundreds of people in the streets kissing and hugging in celebration of the new year. My fellow models and managers drinking champagne and celebrating amongst each other.

My headshot was hanging on the wall. Over the years I had really made a name for myself, of course with the help of Michaels kiss which had taken a lot of convincing to Jake that it was only for publicity. I hadn't seen Michael in years so it didn't matter that much anymore. I had become The Penny Garner, wanted by every big company to be on the runway or in their magazines. I couldn't lie I was so proud of myself. Jake had also become quite popular in the photography business. We could finally pay for the apartment without my parents help.

But, we weren't the only ones to have been succeeding recently. Michael Jackson had completely taken over the music industry. Ever since 1982 he had become The Michael Jackson. Not only because of his music but his incredible stage presence and the iconic moonwalk which he had shown off at Motown 25 which I wasn't able to attend but instead had to watch on TV. And he and his brothers were coming together once again for their Victory Tour, starting in July. I hadn't actually heard from Michael in a long while, but he seemed to be quite happy with where he was.

————— Days Later

I cuddled close to Jake on our soft bed, my face pressed to his smooth chest. He stroked my bare back "When is your next show?"

"Mm, in a month I think. But I have a couple of shoots before then." I drew circles on his stomach.

"Can I come?"

"What kind of question is that? Of course you can." The news playing softly ahead of us, the screen lighting our faces. My eyes drifting asleep.

Jake started to shake my shoulders "Penny! Penny look!"

"Hmm?" I startled back awake, my eyes burning.

"It's Michael!" He pointed to the TV. An image of Michael with bandages on his head, him waving tiredly to the camera.

BREAKING NEWS- Michael Jackson, thriller star, has been rushed to the hospital after an accident at the shoot of a Pepsi commercial. Eye witnesses say his hair caught fire after an explosion behind him.

"Holy shit!" I sat straight up, my mouth hanging open. "Oh my-" I shook my head, staring at the pictures of him. His now sharp nose, he had gotten re-done, his eyes filled with pain. My chin quivered seeing him like this.

"Penny..."

"Look at him!" His eyes heavy, his glove sparkled at the camera. "I need to call Katherine." I jumped out of bed, my feet numb as I dialed for Katherine.

"Hello?" Her soft voice spoke.

"Katherine?!"

"Oh hi dear." She dragged in her words.

"Is Michael okay?! I saw the news a-"

"Yes. He's fine. I was just headed to the hospital. He should be okay." She reassured me. "Thanks for calling."

"I-" I dropped the phone. "She hung up on me..." I stated, looking blank at the phone. "That was weird."

"What'd she say?" Jake patter the bed, ushering me to snuggle with him again.