Chapter 21: The Second Year

Penny-

"Hey Penny!" Jake ran towards me, a bright smile on his face. "How'd your test go?"

"Oh it was fine." I shrugged my shoulders, preparing for an invitation to eat with him once again.

"That's great, hey do you wanna get some food?"

There it was.

"That sounds great right now, I'm starving."

Jake has been flirting with me more and more lately, going out of his way to spend time with me. It made me a little bit nervous but I couldn't lie that he made me feel better when I was without Michael. When Michael had to leave to start shooting for The Wiz over the summer, we made a pact that we would call at least once a week. It was going good so far, I used the phone in the lounge and usually didn't have any trouble contacting him. He invited me to the premiere of The Wiz that was coming up in late October. I was beyond excited to see him again. Michael said Diana was spending lots of time with him for she knew what he was dealing with since our separation.

——————— The Premiere

"Wow, you look stunning Penny." Jake told me as he put Michaels locket around my neck. His cold fingers brushing my bare shoulders. As he swept my hair to the side his lips attached to my neck. I stared in the mirror, a rock weighed down on my chest.

"Jake no. I'm sorry." I pulled away and tugged on the necklace.

"No worries. I hope you have fun tonight."

"Thanks." He left my dorm as Megan walked inside.

"Do I sense some tension amongst you two Ms. P?" He poked at my stomach.

I cleared my throat. "No. Everything's fine."

"Okay, okay. You ready to head out?" Meg was dropping me off at a secret location for Michael to pick me up. Jake thought I was going out to dinner with my family, he was yet to discover my secret about Michael being Michael Jackson.

"Yeah." I walked out in my heels and red dress, my long straight hair brushing against my back through the opening of my dress.

We reached the destination, and there he was. Or there Bill Bray was, his bodyguard. "Welcome Penny!" He grabbed my hand to help me out of the car. Michaels limo was just down the road.

"You be safe P. Use protection!" She winked and waved to me.

"Oh shut up Meg." I blushed as she drive away. She sure was a funny girl.

As I walked down the road alongside Bill, Michael fumbled out of the car. Wearing a black velvet suit, with a gold sparkly vest underneath. He stood there smiling as bright as ever as my heart rate increased.

"Penny!" He squeezed my body and helped me inside the limo. His father and mother were sitting there, solidly. His father had a stern look on his face, but his mother looked peaceful and pleasant.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Jackson." I squeezed Michaels hand.

"Hi dear, you look lovely." Katherine said quietly.

"I've missed you so much Michael. How did shooting go?"

"It went great, it was a lot of fun. But I missed you too girl." I rested my head on his shoulder for the rest of the ride, feeling completely at peace. It was a somewhat long ride to the premiere. When we arrived I had completely forgotten there would be pictures taken of me with Michael.

I bit my lip and stared out the window "Don't worry Penny, you look beautiful. Just smile and hold on to me." His hand caressed my back as the door opened. I stepped out first, the cameras flashing yelling for Michael. "It's okay Penny." He hummed in my ear and wrapped his arm around my waist pulling me close.

"Michael over here!"
"Who are you with Michael?"
"Michael I love you!"
"Are the rumors true?"

Rumors? They were yelling so loudly for his attention. All of them being annoying until one caught my attention "Is it true you slept with Diana Ross?" My head flicked towards the direction it came. My head began to spin as Michael tried pulling me forward.

"Penny it's okay come on. I love you, let's go." Michael must've heard the question, he pulled me along. A smile rested on his face, he sometimes kissed my cheek for the cameras.

"Michael!" We turned around to Diana Ross in a sleek white suit. "And... Penny!" She painted a weak smile on her face. Michael hugs her tightly, her hands lingering on his chest. A weird vibe peaking through.

After we watched the movie we began to dance a bit. Diana kept wandering over to us and separating me from Michael, but every time Michael returned to me. It was getting annoying to be honest. But I had to be happy that I was with Michael for now.

Diana came over to us once again... "Michael can I talk to you for a moment?" She set her hand on his shoulder.

"Of course, one moment Penny." He kissed my cheek before leaving me again. This time I decided to follow them, walking back to a hallway. I hid behind the wall as I barely heard them talking due to the music being so loud.

"Are you coming to my house tonight Michael?"

"I'm not sure Di, I have to drop Penny off and I want to spend time wi-"

She huffed, interrupting him "Oh fine, but we need to finish what we started Michael."

My mouth dropped as I ran back towards the entrance of the theatre. I sat at a bench and waited for Michael to find me. I wanted to go back to campus. A knot grew in my stomach at the thought of him having sex with Diana. I was disgusted and felt so betrayed. He promised me he wouldn't sleep with other women. And when I told him Diana would help him when I was away I didn't mean in this way!

"Penny." Michael grabbed my hand. "You okay?"

As he sat down next to me I told him a lie "Michael I'm sorry but I feel ill, could I head back to campus?"

His fingers brushed my cheeks "Of course my love." He helped me up.

The car ride was silent, different once again. The memories of my summer with him were becoming faded images that would never happen again. We had told Megan where to pick me up and she was there, waiting for me. It was time to leave Michael once again. Something I wasn't sure I could deal with anymore.

"Thanks for such a good night Penny." Michael looked into my eyes as we stood outside his limo.

"Anytime Michael." I hugged him, a tear running down my cheek for I didn't know if our love would really last.

"Call me okay? I love you."

"I love you too Michael." He pecked my cheek before I walked to Megan's car.

"You good P?" She opened my door for me. Instead of stepping inside I turned around to look at Michael once more, but he had gone. Probably back to the theatre to party with Diana more. "Penny?" I looked back towards her tears running down my face, my head plopped onto her shoulder as I cried onto her blue sweater. Her arms wrapped around me "Shhh, let it out. It's gonna be okay. I promise." Her hand rubbing my back.

I couldn't believe this was really happening.