Chapter 25: Preparations

Penny-

Jake and I decided to get married a bit after graduation. Megan was so happy for us but even more happy that she would be my maid of honor. Sometimes I questioned why Jake had asked me to marry him at the time he did. I mean we had been fighting all summer and he decided to marry me at the worst time of our relationship? I'm surprised I even said yes, but there was a sense of comfort I got from knowing that after I married Jake I couldn't be hurt by any other relationship.

We were getting married in July of 1981 at a church Jake went to when he was younger. I was going dress shopping in a week with Megan and my mom. Sometimes my mom was skeptical about our relationship but my dad loved it. He was happy I found "a nice man to settle down with". I didn't love the thought of completely "settling down". But everyone else did.

———————— Bridal Shop

There were three dresses lined in front of me. One with short puffy sleeves and a long train, one with long puffy sleeves and a short train, and one with slim sleeves and a long train. I tried the first one on and it was horrendous.

"I think I'm going to barf." I stared at my reflection, Megan was snickering in the back.

"You look beautiful honey!" My mom pulled on the sleeves. I scrunched my face and ran to try on the second dress.

The sleeves were so big you could barely see I even had arms. "Holy shit." Megan said as I stepped on the podium. "That's disgusting I'm sorry Penny." I covered my face before I looked in the mirror. It was so big! The waist didn't even fit me and the dress was a mix of two different colored whites. "I don't even want to look at this anymore." I scurried back to the dressing room to try on the final dress.

The lady that was helping me get dressed zips up the final dress. I slowly walk out for my mom and Meg to see. There faces painted with amazement as I stare into the mirror. This dress was made of a shiny white fabric. It had a low back and high neckline. The sleeves were long and fitted to my body, the train followed behind me. It was perfect.

"Penny I think that's the one." My mom wiped a tear that had trickled down her cheek. Her eyes lighting up at the image of me in this beautiful dress.

"What do you think Meg?" I twirl around.

"I think you look stunning." She stood up to run her fingers through my hair. "Do you feel like a princess?" She looked at me through the tall mirror. I simply nodded. We all knew this was the one, it was too perfect to not be.

——————- A week before graduation

"I don't think I can prepare anymore for these exams." I huffed and flipped through my books. Graduation was on Sunday and Megan and I couldn't believe it was really here. Four years of making sure we were roommates, rescheduling our classes so our schedules matched, going to the Bingo café to spy on Megan's crush, and pestering Professor Lincoln for his awful glasses he never seemed to repair. It was ending so soon. All of those memories would be set aside for our upcoming careers would be filling in the blanks. I had multiple auditions for modeling agencies after the wedding to ensure that I wouldn't be stuck depending on Jake for an income. On July 12th I would become Mrs. Penny Garner. I would be married. Holy shit I'm gonna have a husband. I'm going to be a whole ass wife.

"I think I'm about to pass out. I've been studying for so long." Megan paused and looked up to me. "So how many auditions do you have?"

"Three. All after the wedding. Hopefully someone likes me." I stuffed my books in my backpack.

"Are you kidding me? You're gorgeous of course they will like you! Just don't stress too much, you will do great."

"Thanks Meg. I'm gonna head out." I swung my bag over my shoulders to headed to Jakes apartment. I had moved over there awhile ago. Megan waved goodbye to me as I shut the door behind me. Walking down the long stuffy hallway of the apartment building I couldn't help but wonder if the Jackson family would get to make it to the wedding. I hoped it wouldn't be too awkward for Michael but I really wanted him there. Of course the brothers were going on their Triumph tour in late July so I shouldn't get my hopes too high.

Michael-

I sat on my bed and stared down at the invitation. White with light pink flowers around the edges. A picture of beautiful Penny Scorsese holding onto the horrid Jake Garner. The big cursive letters "You're Invited!" on the bottom scratched at my aching heart. This couldn't be real. She was really getting married? Janet had told me about her run in with Penny last summer. Jake must've proposed to her then. But Janet told me she could hear them yelling at each other occasionally when she was outside with the animals. It was so confusing. I really thought we would find each other again. Maybe there's still time. I mean divorce is a thing isn't it? I will win her back somehow.

I hopped out of bed wiping the sweat from my forehead. We were having long tiring rehearsals for the tour coming up. I stumbled to my bathroom and stripped from my clothes, staring at myself in the mirror. A weak man with weird splotches on his chest. A big nose which I was planning on fixing after the tour. Why would Penny divorce her husband to be with me? I couldn't get my hopes up and I certainly couldn't go to the wedding. It would be too painful.