Chapter 26: Changes

Penny-

"Welcome class of '81. You've done it. You've successfully completed your college career. Did you enjoy it?" One of the staff members began talking. Megan squeezed my hand as I adjusted my cap. Here we were, graduating from college. A field filled with purple and white gowns preparing to start their life. A day so heavily anticipated my heart was racing. I wasn't listening much to the speech for I knew it would be filled with variations of "you've made it" and "your journey has only begun" and "what a great class you all are".

I played with the end of my gown, thinking about the wedding and hoping the weather was great for pictures outside. Not to mention our honeymoon. We were staying at a resort in Fiji for a week after the wedding.

I wonder if he wants kids? We hadn't even talked about it honestly. We hadn't talked about a lot of things. He still didn't know about my past relationship with Michael. I would tell him one day.

I had found myself in a line behind Megan, preparing to receive our diplomas. "Megan Sanders" they called her name as she strutted you to the stage, shaking hands with the professors. "Penny Scorsese" I breathed in heavily and walked up to the stage. A small smile painted across my face as I shook the hands of professors and staff members at the school. I was holding my diploma. I had done it, successfully made it through college.

"Congratulations class of 1981."

Megan snapped her head towards me with a huge smile on her heart shaped face. I grabbed her hand as we threw our caps into the air. "WE DID IT!" Megan screamed as our peers celebrated amongst us. From a distance I saw Jake running towards us.

"We are finally finished with school." Jake said as he slumped over looking exhausted. I pulled him into a hug before he kissed my lips. Time for real life to begin.

—————————— The Rehearsal Dinner

"I remember the first day I introduced Jake to you, his face just lit up. Penny was a bit hesitant and still having a hard time but Jake really helped her with that. I am forever thankful to Jake for helping my best friend and I am so proud of Penny for pushing through those times. It was great to finally see the reckless side of Penny. Like when she ran across the beach nude! I had never seen that side of her! She was so drunk it was hilarious. She kept on telling me that you only live once. So of course I had to join her. That was one of the best days of my life. So thank you Penny for giving me so many happy days. I am so proud of you. And of course, congratulations." Megan gave Jake and I a toast. I mouthed a thank you to her as people sat up to get some food. I was getting married tomorrow. I couldn't believe it, it all happened so fast.

Jake-

I was marrying the love of my life tomorrow. Of course I wish we could've waited to get married but when I overheard her talking about Michael to her mother I knew it had to be now or she would leave me. I knew she didn't love me as much as she should but I also knew she wasn't strong enough to leave me. She stared at her food, a blank face. I decided not to say anything because she did this often. Always thought about something random but apparently very captivating to her. I finished my Mac and cheese and went to talk to some of my family.

Megan-

"What's up P?" I finished chewing my chicken as Penny sat next to me, pouting. "Don't tell me you are having regrets." I turned towards her.

She looked up into my eyes "Well... I'm not. I want to marry him." She fiddled with her light pink dress.

"Is that a question or a statement? Penny you obviously just have cold feet. Everything will be perfect tomorrow!" She took my glass of wine and gulped it down.

"You're right. I want to marry Jake. I love him! I'm marrying the love of my life!" She slammed her hand down onto the table before running off to Jake.

Penny-

"Hi baby." He greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. His arm was tight around my waist as his cousins admired our relationship.

"You guys are such a great couple." Jakes cousin Mary told us, her eyes steaming with jealousy at how Jake looked at me. Everyone wanted what we had. We were two good looking people, getting married, and deeply in love.

"Thank you. I'm so happy you guys could make it!"

————————— That Night

I pulled Jake into the hotel behind me. He was giggling and stumbling, he had a bit too much to drink. My heart raced as I pushed him against the bed, straddling him. The heat between my legs growing as I pulled my shirt over my head. Jake bit his lip before he sucked on my neck. The room becoming so steamy as I rolled my hips on his. "I love you." I moaned before pulling his lips to mine.