Chapter 60: Comfort

this chapter is kinda random. like a bunch of random stuff happens ig but the end has to do with the plot more. next chapter will be more organized!

October 3rd
Orphanage in London

Penny-

The small infants warm hand pressed up against my chest as his big black eyes stared up at me. He looked like Michael. Michael sat across the room playing with toys with the other children. But here sat little Brandon, in my lap, staring at me. He slowly blinked and eventually collapsed into my arms. I closed my eyes and tried to drown out the sounds of the flashing cameras and crying children. I shifted his body farther up my torso so I could stand up. I cradled him against my chest and kissed the side of his head. He had short black curls and he smelled like a vanilla cookie. I closed my eyes and shifted my weight from hip to hip.

"It's time to move on." My assistant whispered in my ear. I nodded and turned towards the door to where Michael was standing. He pouted his lips while his hand patted the top of Brandon's head.

"He's so precious." He smiled. His limp body flinched while he slept, probably dreaming. Michael and I walked down the hallway to another room filled with children, a bit older now. They all laughed and screamed in joy when we walked into the room. Some kids ran to Michael and pulled him over to their toys, other kids stared at me while I sat down in a chair still holding onto Brandon.

I couldn't help but watch while Michael gave toys to the kids. He looked almost as adorable as the kids did. I believe he was feeling better, especially with this trip. Things had been going good for him lately. We hadn't heard about any breaking news the allegations, everything was the same as it had been before. Michael claimed he was innocent in a video he sent out. But his therapy was going well, he was sleeping more, I was pregnant, and he was visiting hospitals and orphanages again. He seemed happier now than he had been in awhile. In about a month he would be able to return to Neverland.

After some more conversations with the children and many giggles with Michael it was time to leave. Brandon was still sleeping in my arms and I wasn't sure if I would be able to return him to his crib. I wanted to take him home... I wanted to take all of them home.

The staff and children gave Michael a gift while I laid Brandon down in his crib. He curled up to a stuffed monkey I gave him. I scratched his small tummy before kissing him on his forehead. A small smile appeared on his face when I felt Michaels hand intertwine with mine. "They have a gift for you." He kissed my temple and pulled me away from the crib.

All of the older kids were gathered around, one of them had a piece of construction paper in their hand. "3, 2, 1..." One of them counted down.

"Thank you Mrs. Jackson!" They all yelled  together, the one kid held out the piece of paper that had all of their names on it, amongst drawings of animals and some drawings of me. My heart fluttered while I looked at all of the names. Elizabeth, Stacy, Ben, Rafael, Anika, Will, and so many more.

We sat in the back of the limo, our hands connected while we looked at all of the hand made gifts the children had given us. "I didn't think I would be able to leave Brandon. I've been feeling more connected to the kids we meet now that I'm going to actually be a mom." Michael looked at me while I stared down at the gifts.

"Isn't it always so difficult to leave though? I always have the hardest time." I look up at his eyes. He was looking healthier and happier.

"Yeah, it is difficult. But we made them so happy!" I squeeze his hand. "And they make us happy." I smile and look down. Michael continues to stare at me. I squint my eyes "What are you looking at?" I grab his fedora and rustle his smushed curls.