Chapter 70: Monster

TRIGGER WARNING!! The following chapter contains talk of physical abuse and drugs. Continue with caution.

PSA: Just a reminder that the information in this chapter is completely made up. Do not take this as factual information. ITS A STORY!!!!

Penny-

4:03 am

I rolled over in the cold white bed of the hotel room. The empty spot beside me was messy. The comforter crumpled and pillows smashed. I sat up and looked around the room for Michael. He wasn't pacing back and forth. I guessed he was in the bathroom. I fell back onto my pillow.

4:24 am

My feet hit the cold tile floor while I turned on the light of the bathroom. The bright white light almost stung my eyes that had gotten so used to the dark room. I washed my hands after using the restroom and turned the light back off. I slowly wobbled to the bed and realized Michael still wasn't back yet. My legs slid under the covers while I shoved my head back into the pillow.

4:47 am

My mind continued to race while I couldn't fall back asleep. I rolled over again and threw my arm across the bed, hoping I would feel Michael beside me. But he wasn't there. I hopped off the bed and slipped on some sweatpants, a jacket, and slippers. I had an idea of where he might be.

"Mrs. Jackson?" The security guard asked me. "Where ya headin?"

"Looking for Michael." I shrugged and rubbed my eyes. He slowly nodded and let me continue my trip to the stairs.

I shuffled up the concrete stairs, the echo of my slippers sliding against the dirty floor was the only thing heard in the tall staircase. A short while later and I pushed open the large metal door and the breeze from outside was felt against my body. I propped the door open with a brick that was laying beside it.

I looked out from the top of the hotel building and down onto the small city we were in. The sun just beginning to rise while the sky was a lighter blue now.

"The roof?" I asked and watched as the silhouette of Michael turned around. He sat on the roof watching the sunrise in his pajamas and robe.

"I needed to clear my mind." He looked up to me while I walked towards him.

"Just making sure you don't decide to fly away." He smiled gently while I sat beside him.

"I haven't figured out how to do that yet." I crossed my legs and watched as he spoke out into the vast world.

"Well if you jump maybe you'll find out quicker..." I said with a straight face. He slowly turned towards me, his lips pursing while he tried to hold in a laugh. "Kidding... please don't find out." I giggled and turned my face to look into the sunrise.

"You're a goofball." He hummed and slowly laid back onto the concrete roof.

I laid beside him and looked on to his precious face that stared into the early morning sky. His fingers laced with mine while he began to hum For The Good Times by Al Green. This was a peaceful moment. Just us and the world.

"These moments are the good times." He said.

"I don't want it to end." I said shyly.

"Well we can make many more good times. And endless amount. And they can include our baby." His hand rested on the top of my stomach.

Day 3 of the Trial

"Would you describe your relationship with Mr. Jackson?" The lawyer asked Macaulay.