Chapter 3: I still don't like him

*Virgil POV*

The rest of the day goes on as normal. I sat alone at lunch, which was fine with me because I don't want to interact with the enemy more than I have to. After lunch, I check my schedule as I leave the cafeteria. I have math and study hall next.

---

The bell rings and math is over. Now for the time I've been dreading. Study hall. I go down to the study hall room and see Logan, Roman, and Patton already there, talking amongst themselves. I pretend I don't see them and sit in the front of the room, away from them. I pull out my computer and begin the project. I make a Google Slide. I have my earbuds in and don't hear Logan come up behind me. He taps me on the shoulder and I jump. I take my earbuds out.

"What?" I ask, rather rudely.

"I'm here to work on the project. Let's get started, shall we?" Logan says.

He always makes everything sound so formal, it's weird.

"So what should we do the project on?" I ask in a less defensive tone.

I don't trust him, even remotely, but at least he's only talking to me for the project.

"I was considering we do our presentation on something environmental. Perhaps the ocean or the rainforest?" Logan suggests.

"Sure. Let's do the rainforest." I say.

And with that, we get to work, researching and making our slide. I put my earbuds back in and tune out everything. When the final bell rings Roman and Patton come up to us.

"Hey Lo. Why'd ya leave us for this freak?" Roman says, looking me up and down.

"He is my partner for an English project. We have to collaborate, so I figured it would be best to do so during study hall." Logan replies.

"I'm not a freak," I say.

Roman turns to me.

"Oh yeah, emo nightmare? 'Cause you sure look like one." he says, smirking.

"At least I'm not a stuck up brat like you," I say.

I leave the room before it escalates. I guess Roman is not only stuck up and entitled, but a bully as well. Remus is absolutely right. I rush to my locker and pack up my stuff. The principal comes on over the loudspeaker.

"Just a reminder that auditions for the next school play will take place next week Monday after school in the theater. All after school clubs will be open for sign up on that day. Basketball tryouts will take place in three weeks. At this time you are all dismissed."

I'm leaving the hallway at the same time I see the Trio enter. They don't spot me, thankfully. Once I exit the building I pull out my phone to text Jan and Remus. I need a ride home, but Rockview gets out 15 minutes later than CherryWood. I text Remus, seeing as he's the one who drove us all to school.

Hey loser, I need a ride. I text

I also found a new McDonalds about 10 minutes away I add.

Two months ago Remus made it his goal to get banned from every McDonalds in our town. I don't know why but he's already been banned from three.

Be there in like 20 he responds

20 minutes later, I'm scrolling Tumblr when Remus's car finally pulls up. I get in the backseat again, assuming Jan was in the front, and drop my bag next to me.

"Hi, sweetie. How was school?" Remus says in a mock nice tone.

"Just great," I reply sarcastically, "Saw your jerk of a brother too."