Chapter 30: Back with him

*Janus POV*

I want to message Virgil. Nothing big, but just something he can't ignore. Like a prank. I wrote a not with a slightly ominous message, just to make him feel a little scared. Of course, his anxiety will probably make sure it's more than that, but hey, it's still fun. For me.

I knock on the door. No response. I put in the key and open the door. I slip into the apartment, note in hand. I go over to Virgil's room, marked only by a pair of bat wings with a spiderweb in the middle. Just a small design he and I made a few years ago. 

I'm about to open the door when I hear light sobbing. I pause. Then knock. It seems like the polite thing to do. I already have an excuse for my presence here. The door opens. It's Virgil. He doubles back at the sight of me, wiping the tears from his eyes and narrowing them.

"What are you doing here?" He spits.

So he does remember I have a spare key.

"I wanted to see you. Is that completely unreasonable?" I ask.

He wipes away a few more tears.

"Yes," He says.

"Virgil, I know we haven't exactly been good with each other after the breakup. But can't we at least try to be friends? We've been with each other for so long, we shouldn't have to end our friendship because we're not in love." I say.

Wow, I can be really convincing. But I feel the protective friend in my rise up when I see how upset Virgil is.

"How do I know I can trust you?" He asks.

"We've been friends for over four years. I think we know each other better than anyone else." I say.

"What about the time you attacked me?" He counters.

"I was angry and confused. When Remus suggested we do it- oh crap, I wasn't supposed to tell you that. Sorry, Re!" I say.

When in doubt, turn the blame on someone else. And now he trusts me. 

"So what's up with you? I can tell you've been crying." I say.

"Well, the boy I liked I thought liked me too until I saw him kiss a girl." He says.

Oh great, love trouble. This won't get awkward at all.

"And he was my only friend at Cherry, and he introduced me to his friends. Now I don't know if I can trust them because they're all friends of his, not me. I don't think they actually even like me." He says.

"Yeah, there's a reason we know we're better than CherryWood," I say.

Virgil nods in agreement.

"So what about Remus? Aren't you two still friends?" I ask.

"No. He's gone soft for his brother who was part of that friend group. And I found out you guys were still together and he kept that a secret, which hurt." He says.

Wow, he is really opening everything up for me.

*Virgil POV*

I tell Jan everything about school. How I hate it there, I think everyone is fake, and how Logan betrayed me. It hurts, but it makes me remember why we were friends in the first place. He's kind and supportive.

"Well, you know what you need to do, Virgil," Jan says, "You need to get revenge. Show them that you're on to their little games and won't stand for it."

"Yeah, but how?"

"You said they were the popular kids, right? Take that away. Make sure Roman doesn't get the lead in the next show. Make sure Logan misses out on all his nerdy events. Make Patton think they are mad at him. Just some ideas," He says.