Chapter 14: Not so dumb

*Patton POV*

Amy has been sitting at our table for a few weeks now. Yesterday was the first day Logan actually noticed her. Amy's sweet, straight, and captain of the cheerleaders. I knew her back in elementary school, back when she didn't pretend to be dumb. Or at least, I hope she's pretending. She thinks that the dinosaurs must still be alive because there's still gas at gas stations. I have no idea where she got that from, but she refuses to believe anything else. I really hoped no highschooler was that dumb, but Amy is.

This morning Amy texted me, asking if Logan had gotten her note. She's had the hots for Logan for as long as anyone can remember, and he hasn't noticed a thing. Love is the one thing Logan is oblivious on.

I text back yes, and grab my backpack. Logan's in my driveway and I wave to him as I get in his car.

"Hi, kiddo!" I greet.

Roman once joked that I was their dad because of all the dad jokes I make, so now they're all my kiddos.

"Salutations, Patton." He says.

After a few more minutes of driving and chatting, Logan says,

"Patton, I have a question. In the emotions field."

I perk up a bit at that, I love giving advice about emotions,

"Yeah, kiddo? What's up?"

"Well, you know I like Virgil, correct?" He says.

I nod. He's been so strange about Virgil that it has to be love.

"Can you tell me why he's been avoiding us? And why Roman gets very..." He pauses as he thinks of the right word, "why he seems to overreact with anything that has to do with him?"

I fall silent. I hadn't really noticed this. Roman said he was fine with Virgil, but now that Logan mentions it, he does seem to get strange about him.

"I don't know. I guess I hadn't realized he wasn't hanging out with us. He does seem to be kind of a loner, doesn't he?" I say.

Logan shrugs a bit, and we arrive at school. Roman said he was coming early, something about the show and helping with the costumes.

"Well, can you help me 'win him over' as you say?" He asks.

"Of course!" I say, getting out of the car.

*Virgil POV*

Wednesday morning. Class has started and I'm hiding out in the back, keeping my head down and doing the work. The person next to me throws a paper at me and then pretends they didn't. I open it up, thinking I already know what it will say. But instead, it says,

Lo wants to talk with you. Answer his texts plz

I look at the person who threw it, ready to throw it right back. But when I see its just a random person, I decide not to.

I look out the window as the teacher drones on about something. I excel in this class, so I don't pay attention. I see a small bit of snow start to fall. Great. All I have for warmth is a thin, old jacket that hardly fits. The heater in my car also broke last week, so I'll be freezing on my ride home today.

The bell rings and I make a stop at my locker before the next period. On my way out the door, someone stops me. I try to shove past them but they keep trying to get my attention. I eventually turn around.

"What?" I snap.

I expected to see some Rockview kids. Instead, I see Patton. He is nicer to me than anyone else, and by that I mean he at least tries to be nice to me.