Chapter 28: New years

*Patton POV*

I was chosen to host the theater department's New Year's get together. We usually discuss things like our budget, how the last show went. what we can improve on and the next show. Normal stuff, most of it's boring. Not everyone shows up, too. We're lucky if we get more then three of the actors to come. I never really though New Year's Eve would be the best time to have this, but everyone else disagrees with me.

I asked Virgil to come to represent the sound booth, as I don't think Logan will be able to come. Roman and I are discussing what the next play should be as we're setting up.

"I think it should be something more modern. We just did Hamilton, and that was set way back when." I say.

"Yeah, but this is my senior play! My last one! I want it to be something special." Roman says.

"Maybe you should consult the other cast members first?" I suggest, "I bet Thomas would be fine with a fantasy-themed one." 

"Ooh! Yes! Fantasy! We can do a royal kingdom one!" He says.

"We did that two years ago, remember? That's where you got your prince suit." I point out.

"True," Roman says, "Now what about a Disney mash-up? Maybe something similar to Shrek, the musical, but it Disney characters instead of fairy tale ones." 

"That could be good. Make a note of that one and we can bring it up with the others. Can you hand me the duster?" I ask.

He looks around for it.

"Can't find it." He says.

"Well that's dust our luck!" I say.

Roman laughs and then I hear the doorbell ring. I go to answer the door.

*Logan POV*

Several days have gone by. Today is New Year's Eve. My parents have lifted my grounding on the condition that whenever I go out, I have to be with Amy. Which pretty much means I'm still grounded.

Patton's having a small party for the theater department tonight. I convinced my parents to let me go without Amy. I finally have one free night. I might see Virgil there, too. At the thought of that, I go over to my dresser and comb my hair. I usually brush it to the side. I also grab the moon earring he gave me on Christmas. My ears aren't pierced, so I can't wear it. At least, not for it's intended use. That gives me an idea.

I knock on Christie's door.

"I told you, Dad, it takes more than three minutes to get ready!" She calls.

"It's not Dad," I say.

She opens her door.

"Hey Lo! What do ya need?" She asks.

"Do you have a plain bracelet chain?" I ask.

She nods.

"What color?"

"Silver."

She disappears into her room and comes out a minute later, holding exactly what I need. She hands it to me.

"Thank you," I say.

"Don't tell Mom and Dad. They don't think boys should have jewelry." She says.

I nod. Jewelry is one of the many banned things for boys in our house. I might just wear jewelry on my graduation day to spite them.

I go back to my room and try to figure out how to attach the earring to the bracelet. It can't be too hard, right? It's like a puzzle.

---